Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scorpiohorizon

Best way to get baby QE thru the winter?

scorpiohorizon
15 years ago

Somehow, miraculously, and perhaps due to a great deal of prayer to St. Theresa, I managed to get my late MIL's Queen Elizabeth to root. She's currently a baby in a pot still covered with a Ziplock bag under a shrub in the garden, but she has new growth budding and she has roots. The next step is to let her have air and gradually expose her to the sun.

After that, I will need the best way to get her thru the winter on the west side of Cleveland. If last winter is any indication of what to expect, it will still be warm enough here for roses to bloom on Halloween and it won't get really ridiculously cold until January. Then again, I'm new to these parts.

Here are options I have considered--please help me decide which is best, as I've no idea what I am doing here.

1. Put it in the basement in the north facing window well. Truthfully, it would get plently of light but if it needs to be cool down there, it's not gonna happen. I have an ancient, converted from coal to gas boiler system in my basement that keeps the basement about as warm as the first floor of the house--so if it does not need to be a cool temp, this is a viable option. (Sidenote: The guy from the heating company who checked our boiler in the fall said it's likely "the oldest functioning boiler in Lakewood"--but the real fun is in the asbestos insulation.)

2. Take it to work with me, where it can get put in a sunny window and I have flourescent lights on for about 8 hours per day. Again, won't get cool in there except on weekends when the boiler is turned off. Potential danger: Some nitwit teenager knocks it off the windowsill while he's supposed to be taking a quiz on Shakespeare.

3. Put it in the unheated garage where it will get some protection from the weather, but I will more than likely forget about it completely and it will die of dehydration.

4. Plant the pot in the ground next to the north wall of my home, insulate the crap out of it with shredded leaves, and hope my four-year-old doesn't trod upon it while bounding out of the car.

Your input is greatly appreciated. I only got one cutting to root, so I have only one chance to get this right!

Jennifer

Comments (12)

• scorpiohorizon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Everywhere above that I typed "north" I meant to type "south." It has been a long day, but I'm not a total gardening idiot. :)

• cannabisgrower
    15 years ago

for sure grow it on indoors over the winter, that way by next year u get a good sized bush. just use a shoplight with cool white t8's on 24/7, or better yet, 2 shoplights (total 4 lamps) you'll even be able to take cuttings from cuttings, qe is really nice too.

• scorpiohorizon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So since my classroom has like a bizillion flourescent bulbs in the ceiling already, that makes it the better choice than my basement?

I need to be economical here--my utility bills are already sky high (you'd be astounded at how much it costs to run a 96-year-old boiler at 68 degrees all winter).

• cannabisgrower
    15 years ago

Of course, turn in into a horticultural science project. why don't you run your boiler at 60 degrees and wear a few sweaters? sixty degrees is actually quite warm; i can afford the heat, but i still run mine at 60 degrees, because a dollar saved for me, is like 2 dollars earned. you should be able to find a nice wool blanket and a few nice wool sweaters at the second hand store - (I did) - very quickly your body will acclimatize and it will feel like normal.

• scorpiohorizon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So anyway, any other opinions on the matter of getting the rose thru the winter are appreciated as well.

• hartwood
    15 years ago

Last winter, I carried over my rooted roses in my unheated, attached garage. I have grow lights, but they're not necessary if your garage has a window. Since this rose is so precious to you, if you choose to go the garage route, I doubt you'll forget about it. Make a habit of going down on a regular basis to check on it.

Do you have access to the bush to take more cuttings? Now can be a good time to try to root it again, so you have a back-up copy. You can contact me privately, if you want, and I'll coach you through what I do.

Good luck with QE. She's a very nice rose.

Connie

• elks
    15 years ago

Paul, you live so far north that you almost have to grow your cuttings indoors for them to survive winter. As a bonus, they are larger than they would otherwise be come spring. The method works well.
    I, however, do not wish to grow mine inside. I start them outside. I repot them once they have rooted and started to sprout new leaves and either plant them in the garden where I want to grow them, or plant the pot for winter, with their bottles on top. I rarely lose a rose over winter, but I can do this because the winters here are moderated by the proximity to Lakes Huron and Erie.
    Different stokes...
    Steve.
    My apologies for reposting the link again, for those tired of seeing it. S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overwintering

• cannabisgrower
    15 years ago

My cuttings survive outside in winter really nice. I have been growing Fair Bianca by cuttings and layerings for about 7 years now and giving them out to my friends and neighbours.
    I end up tending to my neighbour's bush personally, since she is not too familiar with what to do with a rose, but for the last 2 years, I have not used ANY WINTER PROTECTION AT ALL.
    That single layering that I gave her 6 years ago, is now a big bush, about 5 feet across and 4 feet high, and this is in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, not known for it's warm winters, and not known for a long growing season. The only reason is started growing cuttings indoors this past season, was last November (yes November) I TOOK MY CUTTINGS THE DAY BEFORE THE FIRST BIG SNOWFALL WAS FORECAST, and it would be impossible to grow cuttings on outdoors - the ground was already starting to freeze up!!! By observing that roses do incredibly well with the lights on 24 hours a day, seven days a week, I now heartily recommend this method - the only special materials are a shop light, which many people already have, in order to start seedlings in the spring. Make use of that shoplight in November, and you get big bushes by planting time next spring.

• scorpiohorizon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

S--The article link was great! I have bookmarked it. Thank you!

Connie, I am currently 2 hour drive from the rose, but as long as it is there, I can probably get more cuttings. However, it seems that FIL has taken to ripping out my late MIL's garden one thing at a time and I am afraid it will disappear on me. I would just ask for the whole rose, but he gets annoyed when we ask for the things that he says he doesn't want anyway. Don't ask. :(

• elks
    15 years ago

Paul, it's really cool how you began propagating inside.
    I do not seem to be as fortunate about not losing cuttings without protection through winter outside though perhaps I have never been as brave as you in removing all protection. This spring, we had a lot of warm weather, and the bottles all came off. The cuttings were leafing out and well ahead of the established roses when we had two over-night freezes in a row. Nearly half of my cuttings died. Those that didn't are happily blooming away today.
    Steve.

• cannabisgrower
    15 years ago

I think the sensitivity to a spring freeze is strain dependent. HT's are bad. By now, I'm over 10 years into growing roses, and ALL of my original HT's are long dead, whereas most of my DA's are doing great. I find Abraham Darby does not tolerate the winter too well, and is also susceptible to rust, so AD is dead, but otherwise the rest of my DA's are doing great, especially Fair Bianca, which is why is just grow DA's now. All of my DA's this spring tolerated repeated freezes, with no problems. We have a man in town that started a QE hedge about 20 years ago, and that hedge still does great. All he does to it, is protect the crown with a small mound of oak leaves each fall, from what I've read and can see, Queen Elizabeth is a fairly hardy grandiflora. I wouldn't grow her, though, because she's not really fragrant enough.

• elks
    15 years ago

You're quite right. I'm nursing HTs through winter. There were so many here when I moved in, I tried to keep them going, but added roses that landscape better and, additionally, are hardier. I discovered a couple of years back that the blooms from the HTs make wonderful cut flowers and have been starting more HTs from cuttings to, not only fill in the spaces in the HT bed, but bring blooms indoors. The hardier roses are generally much larger, and I'm running out of room, and sunlight, on my city lot.
    Steve.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus