Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

I'm in mourning, I lost my last rose cuttings today

aliska12000
17 years ago

I guess the heat did them in. I'm not yanking them until every single stem is brown. So many had started to get little leaves.

I will try again, but don't want to start any more in the heat, will try the overwinter mason jar method and I can't find one method where you use detergent, baking soda, water, certain brands of potting soil, about 3 cups, knead it into a damp but not wet ball, put it in a gallon ziplock bag, seal it and set in a north window.

If anybody has that link, I'd be so grateful. If I saved it to my hd, I can't find it.

Comments (19)

• silver_leaf
    17 years ago

I have been using the method noted below and have gotten very good results. I also started some cuttings in early July and through experience I kept them out any direct sunlight and they have survived the 100 degree heat the Midwest has been experiencing. I hope this helps.
    (I found this through the website 'Uncommon Rose')

http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/hulse.html

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That was the link I was looking for, was just going to try to google on some keywords I remembered. Thanks so much!!! I probably bookmarked it but they are a mess and I use two different browers sometimes.

I saved the whole thing and now will remember where I put it, evidently it wasn't on my hd before in another folder because I searched for a file in that folder I just saved and came up with just the one.

Two questions:

Are you doing it inside the house? I have one north window I can use (a/c in other one) but an east one really close so may have to put up something to shade it in am.

Plus I could do a bunch more outside underneath that north window because it is mostly shade all the time and my rhododendrons I planted in that large area died. Will replace them when I get around to it, maybe try something different.

What potting soil are you using? I have Canadian Gold from a good nursery but am willing to go get anything that might be better. Except coir, do want to try it sometime.

As soon as I can get my energy level back from this heat, I'll go and try to gather some more cuttings, get everything ready ahead of time and hope to do better, get some ziplock bags, most of my gal ones went for rhubarb my son brought over a couple weeks ago to freeze, will follow the exact instructions the very best I can. It was supposed to be better, but 90 with humidity is still pretty darn hot to be out running around in the sun for me.

This, too, shall pass. I hope. So much I can't do right now; at least I broke down and turned on my window a/c and am holed up in one room. I'm darn thankful for that, and it doesn't shoot up my energy bill as bad as central would. My cat seems to be more comfortable, too.

Thanks again! Thinking positive, I am going to need some more gallon pots. Don't know what I'll do about a cold frame. If any root, think I'll plant the pots and cover them well until spring, detached garage too cold and windows may not be replaced by winter way things are going, basement I don't trust, maybe get a chance to harden them off outdoors before frost.

• george_mander
    17 years ago

Hi Aliska,
    There are so many reasons a own root cutting will not root.
    Eg. : Temperature, light, humidity and the main thing is to use healthy cuttings and more.
    Check out my Own Root Cutting set up with 30 images with step by step instructions. Link below.
    George Mander

Here is a link that might be useful: Own Root Cuttings with 30 images

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

:-( I'm sorry about your cuttings. I hope you don't get too discouraged about it.

For soil, I am now using about approx. 1/3 coir, 2/3 peat, and a bit of vermiculite. The recipe was on a professional grower's site, and they were using it for bottom watering cuttings.

I hope you have better luck with your second batch of cuttings. I am getting ready to start a small third, final round, too.

Happy Gardening,
    Michelle

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've been to your site before and am very impressed with your work. Where does one get this potting soil?

If I start growing under fluorescent lights, that will arouse suspicion :-). Seriously, I'm not set up to do that and mist, I will read through all your system better. I don't trust my basement because there is mold on one wall and I hate to even go down there unless I have to do laundry and have no place to set up something like that now. Maybe somebody can help me figure out a way and maybe the equipment isn't all that expensive. I have a spare room upstairs I might be able to use on the west that gets sun; I'd have to block the windows. No, it gets too hot in there, that's the advantage to a basement. My basement is huge, maybe I can set up another area.

Let me think about that; I can't throw it together now but over the winter might be able to come up with something for next spring. I blow money on enough other stuff.

Where do you get the fluorescent lights and the mister? When it cools down, I'll look around town. I can do everything myself but wiring.

Thanks, I'm more open to it now than I was when I first read it, sounded too complicated for me.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm being silly about it and can handle the disappointment, but those were my babies! Thank you though. I've accepted it and it will just slow down my plans for what I was going to do with all those marvelous rose bushes :-). Give a couple away actually.

We've been round and round about the coir. I can call Petco one more time and see if they have the "stuff for reptile cages". Not one to put everything off, I'm on the phone with them now. Aha. They call it ecoearth. It's in brick form, $4.99 a brick, it expands to make about how much? when you wet it and turns fine. Isn't that it? I know there's been quibbling whether it's sterile enough, but that is worth a try for more cuttings this year.

I guess this is a "new" method that doesn't use the ziplock bag? Just exactly whose method do you use for the rest of it?

I have some vermiculite and peat. Thanks much!

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Hi,

Eco-Earth is exactly what I got. One brick will go a long way... You could always get it expanded, then pour boiling water over it if you wanted to sterilize it (I didn't bother).

As for lights, I got a 4' shop light from Homedepot. The light was $19.00 - it's a nicer one with a nice reflector, and most importantly it plugs into a standard outlet. I had to look at the light fixtures for a long time to find what I wanted, but it was there. The bulbs were another $6. Since I like to grow seeds in Spring, this is a big improvement for me. :-)

I dip the cuttings in rooting hormone... Then stick them into a cup full of the damp soil. The cup has holes in the bottom. It's just a plastic cup - 12 for $1 cheapies. (I have a heat tool that makes nice holes, but any type of hole will work)

This is the cup:

The cup goes into a pop bottle - also with holes in the bottom - and that gets taped shut. If they seem light/dry, you can just set them in a tub of water (about an inch of water) - just enough to let them soak up water from the bottom. Here's a picture of some Abe Darbys that I just started.

{{gwi:1242461}}

After there are roots showing, I weaned them out of the bottle and into a tub. At this point (14 - 35 days) they are getting watered from the top, and I am setting them outside in a filtered sun area. It hasn't been very hot here, otherwise I am not sure if I would leave them out (one hot day or letting them dry out would probably fry them).

{{gwi:1242463}}

So, I'm no expert, but that's what seems to be working so far...

Happy Gardening,
    Michelle

• elks
    17 years ago

It's not too late to start again outside in zone 5. I've taken cuttings until mid August, and they've been rooted well by snow-fall. I have neither the space nor the inclination to grow them inside.

Aliska, the method I describe in the link works. I apologize if you've already digested it.

Steve.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overwintering

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Those are the same kind of cups I used. I can see your roots. You lost me on the pop bottles, now I see, but you must have used a hot knife to cut the whole bottom out? I have six ready, but had to cut them with scissors higher up. I used an exaco knife and only cut one hole in my plastic cups, maybe I'll cut an extra one in for better drainage. The photos help a lot! Thanks for going to the trouble.

The lights will have to wait until winter, not even that little in the budget and two projects to finish and a ton of other things to tend to, can't load myself up with too much.

Your cuttings look great! I've been anxious the last couple days overwhelmed with which method and the technique.

See following post.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I really don't want them in the house this year so I'm inclined to try outside again. Just the thought of going around and gathering cuttings from three bushes again is a lot since I want to go back and dig some bulbs later in the fall, have really loaded myself up and my initial energy earlier on is flagging.

Anyway, I think my biggest mistake was the pop bottles. I didn't see any photos and cut the first ones the wrong way. I ended up not using any so they got off to a bad start. I understand why it is critical to supply them with humidity now, open air humidity is not the same and it's not always humid anyway. Finally the humidity and heat worked against me. Now I have to save some bottles up again, the overwintering link will be helpful, I haven't clicked on it yet, but that was the next decision I will have to make if any take off.

Tomorrow would be a good day to gather more as we have two cool days, then up to 90's again. I'll try to make myself do it.

Now the only decision left is what medium to use? So many people recommend different things. I guess I like the idea of the coir mixed in with something if I can get out to get some of that, maybe later today, another trip in another direction. Then I'll have a bunch left over to store somehow.

I don't mean to make such a big deal out of everything, but have had so many worries lately, I am tired because I've been trying to do too much and the heat finally got to me, will take awhile to bounce back. My mind starts racing with all that needs to be done, trying to keep things going. Other things I was pushing have not been going well for the most part. A lot of money spent on outside not involving plants and so little to show for it so far. I've given up on the millwork place doing my garage windows, other things that didn't get done right I will have to finish or find someone else to do them.

It isn't so fun right now. It was exciting before and I was so happy with anticipation of getting things fixed. I don't know how or when I'll ever get my arbors put up. When it gets to that point, I have to just let go.

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Hi,

Yes, I think bottles will do the trick. Here are a few pictures to clarify the bottle setup.

Holes in the bottom of the pop bottle:
    {{gwi:1242465}}

A slice in the side of the pop bottle (tape that shut with the rose cutting inside):
    {{gwi:1242467}}

Then a simple example of bottom watering... You can just set the whole bottle in a bit of water (there's about an inch in this old pan). Just enough water that the soil can wick it up when it's thirst. I need to try this with Steve's peroxide/water mix.

{{gwi:1242469}}

I'd definitely try it in the shade under a bush, or in a window where they won't get direct sun. Don't let not having a light hold you back!

Happy Gardening,
    Michelle

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for the wonderful photos, that is a great help. I never thought of doing it that way. I have to get more cups, but punched an extra hole in about 7 last night.

I'm short on pepsi bottles as I don't drink as much as I used to, have a hot knife somewhere, no clue where it is now. My exacto did the job, but it won't do the bottom holes without a lot of extra poking and twisting, if at all.

If I can get up the energy to go make the rounds and collect the cuttings, I'll have to modify your technique this time round, will use what pepsi bottles I have and heck with it, just use mason jars, have plenty of those.

Thanks all who have helped on this thread. In time, I want to try some of the elaborate methods and thank you all for your detailed advice.

I do like your idea with the holes in the bottom of the pepsi bottles, I will stick my cups in the ground again, only deeper, and try the other ways next year, hopefully. Don't even have an extra dishpan, have a nice storage container, maybe it is too deep, but I could use that and not fill it up full, am tired of running out and buying things even if they are cheap.

• george_mander
    17 years ago

Hio Aliska,
    You "do not" need a mister if you do your cuttings the way I do ! Check out my link above.
    Also, if you use cut off pop bottles I would use clear ones, as you want to get as much light as possible.

Before I started my present rooting method I used a mister, but this can give you problems as it may miss some cuttings in a corner or the timer for misting does not go on when it should.
    I have my method so refined now that I am getting 99 to 100 percent rooted. You mentioned mason jars which I also used in the beginning. You could also use your high storage container and raise the bottom with anything you have.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks again, George, I appreciate your solicitude so much, and I read through your system, will reread carefully, I have to do this next batch outdoors, over the winter I will try to set up some lights.

I will try a combination of yours and the plastic cup method, will wash them thoroughly, what do you sterilize your pruning shears with, I can dip them in bleach water and wipe them with a paper towel or use alcohol? I would rather not sterilize after every single cutting but could between places if I took some bleach water along. I don't want to linger too long at one place because I didn't really get the owner's permission.

I don't know if I can get that potting soil in time, will have to call around to see if anybody locally carries it.

I looked at my package of Canadian Gold. It is made in Canada but not by Sunshine. Sunshine has a map, nothing anywhere near me, and those wouldn't necessarily be retail outlets.

It is supposed to be really cool a couple days next week. That is when I am going to try to jump on it, try three rose bushes, 7-8 cuttings each, does it have to be a flower stem?

At this point, I will use my cups will get a new color at the store so I can keep them separate, what pepsi bottles I have (clear) and mason jars and/or tent for the rest with my storage container or must may buy a bunch of dishpans, they are cheap. I will use a few mason jars if I have to, also plastic sticks, will have to find some, as all I have is bamboo.

My plastic roll is what you might put over an improvised greenhouse; i.e., not clear but translucent. Should I get some heavier clear plastic?

If I can't find your potting mix in time, I will use mine and lighten it up with what the other poster uses.

• george_mander
    17 years ago

Hi Aliska,
    Here are your questions and my answers.
    "Q" 1
    what do you sterilize your pruning shears with ?
    "A"
    I use alcohol to sterilize my pruners before I do a batch, but not in between each cutting.

"Q" 2
    I would rather not sterilize after every single cutting
    does it have to be a flower stem?
    "A"
    I have used blind shoots before if there was no flowering stem, as long as the stem is not too old.

"Q" 3
    My plastic roll is what you might put over an improvised greenhouse; i.e., not clear but translucent. Should I get some heavier clear plastic?
    "A"
    I would prefer clear plastic and it does not have to be really heavy. Lately I have used crystal clear plastic which is used for storm windows. Bought it at a lumber store and itÂs really heavy and clearer than the regular clear plastic sheet you buy on a roll. For about two dollars you get enough for 2 to 3 dish-pan covers.
    Looking at the photo # 8 on my Own Root Gallery you can really see how clear this plastic is.

"Q" 4
    If I can't find your potting mix in time,
    "A"
    Before I got the Sunshine Mix I made my own with 50 % perlite and 50 % peatmoss.

Here is a link that might be useful: Own Root Cuttings Setup Gallery

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So much good help here. I saved this html page in case people take their photos down because I can use some of the suggestions for a long time to come.

If nothing else, I have some really pretty 16-oz cups now. I started with clear, had quite a few green, not so many red from a Christmas past. Today I went to the supermarket to pick up some cat food and found some pretty rose, aqua and a pretty medium blue. I'm all set to party. With rose cuttings, of course.

And the pepsi bottles? I'm going to the gas station and just buy back some. I cut my first ones wrong as I said before, used to have huge supplies of them accumulate because I hate the hassle of returning them. Now that I really need them, I can't drink enough pepsi and that's the only kind of pop I still drink, Pepsi regular, won't drink it out of cans, doesn't taste the same. Two are filled with cold water in the fridge, I like it that way.

Just some trivia to wind down with here.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nothing goes like you plan. Had everything ready. I forgot to ask George how he moistens the peat/vermiculite mixture so I used the garden hose sray in the cups before I stuck the cuttings in. It got too soggy. I tried to drain and squeeze out as much as I could.

Then I look at the cuttings and don't know how to prepare them right, made another slanted cut under water as best I could, cut the flower heads off as best I could (some of these had three flower heads), some were very healthy but some had some brown stuff on them (none had mold) so I pulled those leaves off but not all of them, shook the water off, dredged in powdered hormone, stuck a pen in the mix, felt I had to pull some of the bottom leaves off or I couldn't poke them deep enough, stuck the cutting in that, pressed as snugly as I could, then buried them as deep as I could in the ground.

I figured burying the cups in the ground might keep them cooler if it gets hot again, but then it was frustrating trying to get the pepsi bottles over them without touching the leaves and disburbing the cuttings more and getting the leaves tucked up in there. Some of the leaves are touching the sides, I guess that can't be helped. Finally I put up an old window screen to filter out some of the sun that will get through on the east side, most is blocked now by trees, but a little gets through in the morning. The north side would get some of the morning sun anyway and is not a good place right now, ground packed from cement work that was done, too hard to dig for me.

I toyed with the idea of stapling translucent plastic to the screen but just ran out of patience. Once the sun hits the south, they should be ok in the natural light that is left. I was afraid the plastic would block too much light and I would have to move the screen every noon.

I put the seventh one, the only one that didn't have a spent flower head, looks very healthy, in the cup, in a gallon baggie, blew some air in, sealed it, and set it on the table by my north window, put curtains to block the sun from the east window very close by.

It made me nervous, and all I can do is hope for the best. You look at those cuttings and must have to have some special knowhow to know what to do with each one because each one is different.

Then what to do with the rooting hormone with all the warnings about not getting it on your skin, wear rubber gloves, I didn't, so I sealed that up in a plastic container and will use it again because I don't like to waste it.

I was thinking as I was struggling with all this and back was hurting, legs stiff, why am I doing this? Why not just buy my roses?

Two more sets to go, one tomorrow and one the next day, I hope. Have to go to the grocery store and buy back some bottles. Maybe in time I'll gain confidence and more of a knack with it. It is not easy for me, and it is messy.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    17 years ago

Aliska, there is something exciting when your new roses start blooming and you grew them yourself! I usually am only successful with about 10% of what I start. But have started enough to share with several friends!

I use the same clear cups(maybe smaller, I think 24 for $1) but keep them in a Rubbermaid container with plexiglass on it. I start them inside under growlights, but will repot and move them outside in September. I put them on the south side of the house and mulch over the top of the pot and usually the rose too. Last year I had 24 outside and only lost one or two. Then in the spring they are acclimatized!

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for the response. I don't have grow lights yet, so I've got twenty or more outside now, three different roses, have one of each in gallon ziplock bag in my north window just to see what will happen.

If I lose these, I will have to rig up some grow lights and do the dispan thing.

On another thread I was asking if I could bring them into my sunroom for the winter. One person wrote to me and said I could if I keep the humidity up. Otherwise I will have to cover them with lots of leaves and chicken wire weighted down outside for the winter which is not good in my zone for baby cuttings.

We'll see how this goes. I ran out of pop bottles and stuck some in the ground and covered with Mason jars, may leave those all winter and transplant in the spring if any make it through. It may have been too early to start the Mason jar method and too late for the cups and pop bottles, but at least I am trying again.

I can well imagine the satisfaction you must feel if you ever get some flowers from them.

No matter what I've tried so far, I always make some little mistake which can turn into a big mistake, don't prepare them just right, can't find the best cuttings, got dirt on them trying to bury the cups in the ground to keep them cool before I put the bottles on them, have to gingerly lift up the leaves and then they're all scrunched up under the bottle, the larger leafed ones, blah blah.

Plus I used the wrong soil mix for some, the last batch I used peat and pearlite, hope I got the moisture content right with that stuff.

I am trying not to get my hopes up, but after all that work with so many, I will be disappointed again if at least a few don't root. But I won't give up.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting