Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
from root appearing to seedling appearing?

Posted by rross NSW Aust (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 4:10

After leaving rose seeds in the fridge for six weeks, I found one seed had produced a tiny root. I have planted it in seed raising mix and placed it in a sheltered spot outside on a covered deck. During the day the temperature reaches around 20 degrees celsius, which I think is around 70 degrees fahrenheit. Could anyone give me an idea of approximately how long I should expect to wait to see a seedling?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: from root appearing to seedling appearing?

I have a web page on what to do when the seed sprouts, but I do not include any times for each step as it appears to be dependent on each seed/each type of cross/ age of your youngest child/ phase of moon/ whether the seed sprouted on an even or odd day of the week/etc. i.e. I wonder if Nature does not plan it that way to guarantee that some survive.

Here is a link that might be useful: what to do when the seed sprouts

o

Thank you, Henry, for that post on growing roses from seeds. I like how you put play sand on top to indicate moisture. Using distilled water is a great idea, it's only 99 cents per gallon. My water is alkaline pH over 8, not good for roses.

o

Speed of seeing actual top growth from a seed with a root does depend upon many factors. I believe we should add to Henry's list whether the rose LIKES you or not. Some will explode nearly immediately while others will sit there until Hades freezes over. I agree with Henry's hypothesis. It does appear Nature builds in that variation to provide an out in case of any eventuality.

Some seeds from the same cross may begin germinating within a week or two from planting. Others from the same hip may take a year or longer. It's all engineered to provide for perpetuation of the species. What happens if they all germinate right now and are suddenly hit with a killing, unseasonal frost or a period of extreme heat and drought as we've seen this summer? At least those which lay in wait until conditions improve, stand a better chance of making it. Kim

o

The following was stated: " I believe we should add to Henry's list whether the rose LIKES you or not."
------------------------------
H.Kuska comment: But the hybridizer can be consider the parent. Don't all children like their parents?

o

A "normal child" should love their parent, but "liking" a parent is a completely different animal...Kim

o

• Posted by rross NSW Aust (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 21:14

The seedling has just appeared above the soil. That's 7 days from planting the seed with the tiny root.

o

Hi rross: Great pic. it encourages me a lot. Thanks for sharing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here