Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
first_time_gardener

yellowing leaves on rose cutting

Seven days ago I took a cutting from my rose bush outside and dipped it rooting compound and stuck it in a pot of moist soil covered with a jar. the leaves are turning yellow.

I read in another post that I may not need the jar because it is summer - Is there anyway to save this rose cutting - and where can I keep it to help get it rooting?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (6)

• aliska12000
    17 years ago

I'm kind of where you are right now, some are turning yellow, leaves have actually fallen off on one already, was wondering the exact same thing. All my 33 cuttings are covered with either pop bottles, jars or in ziplock bags. It seems they look limpish from too much humidity. But I lost all my cuttings from the last batch I didn't cover. They lost all their original leaves, were putting out new leaves, then they might have been goners anyway, but the heat did them in.

I'm thinking the misting system is probably the way to go from now on. On one of the threads here, even the misting system didn't save all the leaves, but new ones grew and the cuttings started to thrive and rooted.

Look for the michelle_co (I think) threads or for george mander posts. Sorry I can't be more help. Maybe somebody else has been there and will know.

I do know that even if you lose all the leaves, you can sometimes get a rooted cutting if the stem doesn't rot, but it hasn't happened for me. Some stems did stay green for quite awhile though.

• gardentea
    17 years ago

on garden magazine I read home and garden online read it meant overwatering I cam email it if interested

• elks
    17 years ago

It is over-watering if the veins of the leaves turn yellow first.
    It is not uncommon to loose leaves this way. All is not lost, though usually a leaf is necessary for a cutting to root.
    Steve.

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

I agree that keeping some leaves is better - and that a cutting can lose it's leaves and still root. I have one doing it right now. It sat in the pot as a stick for a while, and now is sending out some new leaves. For whatever reason, the other cuttings off of the same plant rooted very quickly, and this one is struggling.

I consider them goners when the main stem turns black. In all of those that I've pulled up, the cut end is black and rotting, too.

Happy Gardening!
    Michelle

• debbysunshine
    17 years ago

It takes a bit to figure out how cuttings work and if there is still some green anywhere I say let it sit a bit more. This year I used seed starter soil and got terrific results. Also used cuttings the size od a dime that had alredy just bloomed. Don't feed the cuttings becaue they don't really have feeder root for a bit but once you get a bloom you can give them a little rose food.. Here in San Diego I never need a cover but I have really great luck growing cuttings in pots and using cardboard egg carton bits for mulch. Sometimes in the ground they do well but there is so much fertilizer and poisons from the other plants. Some cuttings just refuse to grow. Have a Moon Shadow that I just love but I've tried to grow it ffrom perfect cuttings so many times. I have an Intrigue Rose that I actually got from a 99 Cents store and it is gorgeous and smells heavenly and reproduces quickly everytime and I own five of them now..

• woodroid
    17 years ago

Are they in the shade. The bottle method is to keep moisture on the upper plant and keep them from dying out because they don't hasve any roots yet to absorb water which discounts the over watering problem. Over watering may cause the stems to rot. I have had cuttings in pop bottles and the sun cooked the leaves like a torch and the cuttings survived. Like debbysunshine said, It takes some practice. Don't put bottled cuttings in any kind of direct sun.Roasty Toasty time there till winter sun.

Sponsored
Russell Combs Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Richmond City's Comprehensive Outdoor Landscape Design Firm