Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when do you re-pot bands?

Posted by michelle_co z5 CO (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 23, 06 at 9:49

Hi,

I would like to know when other folks move their cuttings into larger pots. Do they fare better if left in their original pot longer, OR are they better off with more room to spread out their roots?

Happy Gardening,
Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when do you re-pot bands?

I move my cuttings to 6X6 sq pots once the roots have;
a. Started growing out the drainage holes
b. Appeared on all 4 sides of my pots.

Here is an example of a rose cut on 7/28/06, and getting ready to re-pot on 8/20. This is the HT rose Rosemary Harkness. Npte the root way off to the right is starting to grow right out of the drainage hole. I can keep track of these very easily since the pots I use are see-thru. As soon as a root even starts to appear I can tell.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

Hey, nice pots! Where did you get those?

I like that logic for when to repot. Thanks for the reply.

When would you start feeding this plant? I have been feeding one drop of Schultz per gallon H20 to my guys as soon as they are in larger pots (normal rate is 7 drops per gallon, so it's not too strong).

Happy Gardening,
Michelle

o

Forget where I got them, but they were about $.25 per pot, and you had to buy like 250 for them to even ship.

I start fertilizing as soon as they are taken out of the misting house, which is usually a week after repotting. I fertilize with Greenlight root promoter and fertilizer. I am more concerned about getting roots going than anything else. I will post a picture tonight of a potted rose with roots developed 50 days after taking the cutting

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here