Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Budding Rose Cuttings

Posted by theodosia 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 10:13

I have some Dr. Huey that I am going to propagate for rootstock material. I was considering bud-grafting the cuttings BEFORE I placed them in the propagation medium, skipping one step. Has anyone tried this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Budding Rose Cuttings

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 11:28

I don't know if that would work. The cutting won't know whether to feed the bud or try and grow roots. If it begins to feed the bud first it will use up all the energy stored in the cane and you may have a plant with no root ball that will eventually die.

o

It's called stenting. If you do a web search on the phrase 'stenting roses', you'll come up with a lot of videos and explanations.

o

Hi- I just tried the same thing, except with a multiflora hybrid as rootstock. Rootstock all rooted, but the buds all died. I have tried stenting a number of times- so far no luck. I suspect you need ideal conditions. Perhaps a mist table.

o

Sequoia Nursery grafted mini trees that way for decades. It works best under mist. The issue is the cuttings don't have roots yet and can easily suffer water stress. Water stress is one of the easiest, fastest ways for a bud to fail. Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here