Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosewylde

Cuttings from Climbers

rosewylde
17 years ago

This Summer I have successfully rooted cuttings from both Don Juan and Altissimo--cuttings taken from healthy side shoots. Yesterday, someone told me that these won't ever have long canes because the cuttings weren't from the tip of a main cane. Is this for real or is it perhaps an "Old Wives Tale"?

Laurel

Comments (4)

• pccrozat
    17 years ago

whoever told you that has absolutely no idea about how genetics work! whether you take the cutting from a tip or the bottom of the cane may have an effect on how the cutting will root, but once rooted it will be the exact same plant as the mother plant

• rosewylde
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you, pccrozat. That's what I have been thinking, but for a moment thought there was something I didn't know about this. Your answer has certainly set the record straight.
    Laurel

• wild_rose_of_texas
    17 years ago

This thread reminded me of a thread I read on here a couple years ago. Something about cloning Devoniensis from a lateral cane low on the plant, close to the ground, versus a long cane's tip cutting. Now I can't recall what the issue was, but I remember wondering if it could be true, or if it was a bunch of hooey.... I never tried it though.

But I do know this: when mutations occur on some roses, it is not the entire plant that is affected, but usually a singe cane. "Smith's Parrish" is one great example, this rose will on occasion throw a limb that is single and medium to dark pink. If you root that cane, you get what is sold as "Red Smith's Parrish". Usually that plant can, over time, revert back to the original form of the multi-splotched white and red blooms, though.

You are right, I have NO EARTHLY IDEA about plant genetics, but I am fascinated by the presentations in nature!

• rosewylde
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wild Rose of Texas, Yes Nature is absolutely fascinating! That is very interesting about 'Smith's Parrish.' I have a reversion going on in my garden now--my first experience with this type of thing. I planted 'Golden Monika' just this past Spring--and the first flush of blooms were all that rich, lovely gold--as was to be expected. New canes grew out after that and for the second flush I got mostly golden flowers, but one cane bloomed orange with a gold reverse--the original 'Monika'. It looks gorgeous in the garden!
    Laurel