Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aaaccc

Easiest Roses to Propagate?

aaaccc
17 years ago

Which Roses are the easiest to root from cuttings?

Thanks,

Alice

Comments (41)

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

IMO minis are easiest. They are really vigorous & fast to root.

Happy Gardening,
    Michelle

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Is 'The Fairy' a mini? It's really easy. The only one I had success with, as a matter of fact. I don't really need 5 of them, though. :(

Lime

• drasaid
    17 years ago

Unfortunatly, they cut you a lot more than you cut them.
    New Dawn, I find, is easy. Very nice too.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    17 years ago

Teas and Chinas.

You increase your chances signficantly by taking cuttings from a strong, healthy plant that has been well watered and well fertilized for a good period of time. The cuttings will contain plenty of energy and be easier to get going.

• luxrosa
    17 years ago

Polyanthas, Hybrid Musks have all rooted easily for me.
    All the Alba cuttings I took this July, struck quickly.

Luxrosa

P.S. "The Fairy" was hybridized by Bentall, way back in 1932. It has R. wichurana genes, which gives it that beautiful foliage and long pliable canes.

• msjam2
    17 years ago

Rise n' Shine roots easily.

• donnaroyston
    17 years ago

Of the ones that I've rooted (or tried):

The Fairy -- very easy, 90 - 95% success or better
    Madame Plantier -- very easy
    Clotilde Soupert -- easy
    Alba Semiplena -- extremely hard, 0% success
    Complicata -- easy
    Veilchenblau -- easy

I've not had success with Popcorn or White Pet, but I didn't have more than a couple cuttings (my plants are small and young). I'll try them again next year. Popcorn (a mini) is supposed to be easy, I've heard.

Donna

• barb_roselover_in
    17 years ago

When I was reading this, I noticed that more people have better luck in the warmer zones, although I noticed a Colorado one. Do you think that the zones have anything to do with the rooting process, and expecially certain times of the year? Thanks for the replies - Barb

• lemon_meringue
    17 years ago

Lagerfeld seems to root very easily and consistently. Ingrid Bergman is also good. I just stuck my cuttings directly in the ground and amongst the weeds :) The cuttings took a loooooong time to root but the success rate is 60-70%. I lost 1/2 during transplants this May though. Lagerfeld is definitely a survivor!!

• nova_gw
    17 years ago

I find that here in Florida I have my best success with rooting in winter. The ones that I have the highest rate with are -
    The Gift - a polyantha almost 100%
    Vincent Godsif - a Bermuda Mystery Rose about 75%
    Louis Philippi - a china about 75%
    Duchesse de Brabant - a tea about 50%
    I have had some limited success with some others but, to me, these do the best. I should also mention my rooting technique is pretty simple too. I use TP tubes packed with potting soil in a covered aquarium in filtered sun with no rooting hormone. I call it the KISS method - Keep It Simple Stupid! LOL nova

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Hi Barb,

In my opinion, at the novice level it's a matter of tuning in a system that works, then having a very consistent environment so you can reproduce your results. I rooted several classes of roses (HT's, shrubs, minis, FB's, English) and have not found any class 'harder to root'. Some of the roses are very vigorous rooters, and some of them even seem to tolerate drying out while rooting (ex. minis don't require a pop bottle - the leaves dry out and fall but the stem roots anyway)... But they seem to be popping roots for me at this point. I am having 75% or better success rate - almost everything I have lost out of the last two batches have been questionable cuttings that were experiments.

As far as zone goes, I started in June, and stuck the latest batch of cuttings last week. I do have a good place to root them where the temperature and light is not a factor (indoor sunroom with florescent lights on a timer). It's exactly the same environment I had during summer.

So that's my long and windy thought about that. :-)

Happy Gardening,
    Michelle

• jont1
    17 years ago

I had good luck with Moonstone, Lasting Peace, Lagerfeld, Whisper, Tahitian Sunset, and Brides' Dream in the past.
    John

• charliebear65
    17 years ago

I AM TRYING TO FIND SOMEONE CLOSE TO ME IN ZONE 6
    EVANSVILLE, INDIANA WHO IS WILL TO TRADE TWO OR THREE CUTTINGS OF MIDAS TOUCH FOR SOME CUTTINGS OF PROUD LAND OR LOVE AND PEACE.
    CHARLIEBEAR65@HOTMAIL.COM

• gw:roland-grow
    17 years ago

what is the best way to start a new rose from a cutting

• gw:antiquerose-lady
    17 years ago

Mrs. B.R. Cant, Mrs. Dudley Cross, Jeane Lajoie, and Buff Beauty were easy to propagate from cuttings.

• debrazone9socal
    17 years ago

Very easy: Baronne Prevost, Simplicity (Red), Sheer Bliss, Iceberg.

Nearly impossible: Secret Garden Musk Climber (1 out of 20).

• rosyone
    17 years ago

Secret Garden Musk Climber is one I'd love to subject to the method described in the article below. If only I had access to the root system of a mature plant...

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Roses through Root Cuttings

• dmaivn
    17 years ago

There is a list of popular ownroot roses offered by growers. It should be a good reference for making own root roses. It's not only that they should root easily but grow well on own roots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ownroot roses

• cometgirl_2006
    17 years ago

Hi All:

I have a Pink Swamp Rose which I have been propagating for years which dates back to the Civil War. I cut the tendar tips and put in wet soil and they grow very easily.

They are like seven sisters roses. The fragrance is heavenly.

Thank you

• melissa_thefarm
    17 years ago

I've been experimenting for about five years, generally taking four cuttings per variety, most in the ground in the fall in a covered unheated bed (we're in Zone 8 here, roughly), but also rooting some in pots in summertime. I'm interested in finding out which roses will root easily from cuttings and then grow well in my climate without a lot of fuss. In my experience, and using my rather crude methods, some classes tend to be easier than others, but there are always surprises. I've experimented mostly Teas and Chinas, once-blooming old roses, Hybrid Musks, English roses, some climbers. For success a rose not only has to root easily, but grow quickly and well on its own roots.

Good varieties:
    Hybrid Musks: Cornelia, Vanity, Felicia; Buff Beauty (rooted at a lower percentage); Moonlight, Sally Holmes, and Penelope are just a year old, but look vigorous.
    Chinas: Old Blush, Sanguinea, Cramoisi Superieur.
    Teas: Bon Silène, Mme. Antoine Mari, Safrano, Isabella Sprunt, Archduke Joseph.
    Climbers: New Dawn, Alberic Barbier (these two practically leap out of the pot); Leontine Gervais and Clair Matin (rooted by a friend); Mme. Alfred Carrière. I had very good success with a bunch of climber cuttings a friend gave me, but the problem is they're unlabeled and I haven't sorted them out yet.
    Once-blooming old roses: Fantin-Latour, Mme. Hardy, Nestor, Centifolia; rooted and one year old are R. gallica 'Versicolor' (Rosa Mundi) and De la Maitre-Ecole.
    English Roses: Golden Celebration, Sharifa Asma.
    Hybrid Teas: Mr. Lincoln does pretty well, and our one-year-old plants of Cl. Etoile de Hollande are vigorous and rooted at 100%.
    Odds and ends: Bonica.

The forum here, as you've done, is a good place to look; also the catalogs of nurseries that grow their roses own root. I also looked for roses that were in existence before the middle of the nineteenth century, as I believe that it's only at that time that the grafting of roses became a widespread practice. Passalong roses would also generally be good, as they would be propagated usually from cuttings.

Good luck, and have fun.

Melissa

• wild_rose_of_texas
    17 years ago

There are actually more old roses that are easy to propagate than there are moderns, for the reason that Melissa hinted at above. Lovely blooms on plants that have weaker root systems need grafting, so those roses that didnt make the cut as garden plants could be melded to tougher roots and then enjoyed. But when you try to propaget these from cuttings, invariably, they don't perform as well, and for me, they wind up dying or shovel proned.

Some propagate easily from cuttings for me here in Texas:

Chinas:
    Ducher, Smiths Parish, Louis Philippe, Comtesse du Cayla, Cramoisi Superieur, Mutabilis, Napolean, Archduc Charles, Spice
    Teas:
    Mdm Antoine Mari, Monsieur Tillier, Duchesse de Brabant, Mrs. Dudley Cross, Rosette de Lizy, Mrs. B. R. Cant, Georgetown Tea, Bon Silene, Isabella Sprunt, Marie van Houtte,
    Noisettes:
    Lamarque, Madame Alfred Carriere, Champney's Pink Cluster, Blush Noisette, Moulton's Noisette,

The really OLD roses do very well from cuttings, too, like:
    White lady Banks, Yellow, Lady Banks, the Chestnut Rose, Fortuniana, Alberic Barberia, Cherokee Rose.

There are good methods to propagate here on GardenWeb. There are also some articles on rose propagation on the Texas Rose Rustlers website at www.texasroserustlers.org

• ceterum
    17 years ago

Oh, I wish someone rooted me a Lamarque!

I loved to get advise on how to root the banksias - I failed with the white lady Banksias so I didn't even try the yellow. The baggie method never worked for me but several other techniques did.

Duchesse de Brabant, Mme J. Schwarz, Chinas and Gruss an Aachen are indeed easy to root; several Austins, HTs are also easy.

• John (PNW zone 8)
    17 years ago

In planting my Teasing Georgia, a cane snapped off. I hated to see such a big chunk of my new rose go into the trash, so I trimmed it up, dunked it in rooting hormone, stuck it in a band filled with sand and let it sit covered with a baggie on the north side of the house for a couple of months. Two years later, she's almost as big as her mother. I would call this easy to root!

• garystpaul
    17 years ago

Lillian Gibson. Early spring, juices flowing. Rooted in 10 days. GaryStPaul

• kelly_michael39
    7 years ago

DORIS TYSTERMAN - cuttings taken last week in August here in southern in UK, 40% peat, 40% sterilised soil, 20% lime free sand as rooting medium, 4 to a six inch long tom pot single layer of old fashioned blotting paper in bottom and 1" of horticultural grit on top of this in bottom of pot. place under bench in greenhouse shade with white paper from sun approx. 80% success rate transplant the following July and feed dilute quarter strength pro. rose fertilizer - grows as vigorous as the parent

• Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
    7 years ago

The one I have had at least 98% success with is Pink Pet. Nothing easier to do.

• kelly_michael39
    7 years ago

Don't know this one = is it available in UK?

• donnaroyston
    7 years ago

I was doing the autumn clean-up of the garden 3 years ago when I accidentally broke off a cane of Tuscany Superb. I stuck it in the ground to see what would happen. In the spring I pulled it up -- it was still green but no roots. Stuck it back in. A couple months later, around May, it was rooted and growing. That was easy!

• kelly_michael39
    7 years ago

Often the way - takes lots of time and care = failure; poke it in the ground and ignore= success! Sod's law, I am pleased for your success!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    7 years ago

Kelly, Pink Pet is also know as Caldwell Pink. It might be its "older" name.

• kelly_michael39
    7 years ago

Found it - Thank you it is in a neighbours garden will take cuttings!

• donnaroyston
    7 years ago

Thanks! Of course, the stick-it-in-the-ground-and-ignore-it wouldn't have worked in May! But I suspect that many rose varieties would succeed when stuck in the ground in late Oct.-Nov., once most of the leaves are off and it's nice and cool. If I have a good spot open, I may try it this year with a selection of plants.

• kelly_michael39
    7 years ago

depending where you are, here in the southern half of the UK mid August and out of direct sunlight seems to give the best results.

5 years ago

New Dawn, Pink Pet, (Cl.) Clotilde Soupert, Peggy Martin, Viking Queen, The Fairy, Orlean rose, Jean LaJoie and Teasing Georgia. Pink pet and CS are hands down the easiest.

• gagalzone8
    5 years ago

So far I’ve had success with all of mine. The only one that gave me trouble was Grandmother’s Hat. She rooted easy, but slow. I found she likes to stay in the rooting pot longer than the others. I’d get her potted up and she would drop dead. Ugh! Got her mastered now!

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks for the link, dmaivn (said while gleefully rubbing hands together)!

• gagalzone8
    5 years ago

Ceterum, I rooted all mine by taking hardwood cuttings. Stop the leaves off the lower part of the stem. Stick them in a mix of 50% potting soil and 50% pine bark fines (sold as soil conditioner at Home Depot for around $3.00 for a big bag). Water good, then set them in dappled light outside. (I had them sitting along my chain link fence) 99% success rate. Mine went thru hurricane Michael, unprotected, drenching rains and wind. No rot. It’s great for me because I like to peek and see if I’m getting roots. I’ll pull one out and stick it back in. No problems. I’ve done this from spring thru winter. The picture shows some I stuck in Nov. they just lost all their leaves, went thru winter and now you see the new growth.

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

This is such a great thread. So much good information! I wanted to contribute my experiences, in case they help anyone. Westerland, the orange/apricot Kordes, would definitely be considered “easy to root.” It’s crazy fast for me. Nice root system in 2-3 weeks. I’ve never had roses take off as fast as this one.

Also, I wanted to share the method I have been using with great success lately. Previously, many of my cuttings had been lost to rot. Taking lessons from Gagalzone, above, I tried to come up with a very well drained mix, but pine bark fines aren’t very easy to find around here. What HAS worked, beautifully, has been to use any fairly well drained potting soil (or whatever I have on hand), lightly moistened BEFORE putting the cuttings in. I do not water after I push in the cuttings! I think that has been the crucial difference. As long as the medium is somewhat moistened, and I cover the pot with a bag to keep in moisture, it works like a charm. My successes have gone from about 25% to 90%+.

I think if I lived with the Georgia humidity, I might not need to do the bag over the pot. But it’s usually fairly dry here, and that seems to really help.

4 years ago

Thanks for your method! Actually leaving any cover off really helped me with mine since we are so humid all of the rotted with a cover. Just natural rain. I do like the idea of wedding the soil first not after I'll have to try that on a couple and see which works better. I also meant to add that Aloha is another one that Roots super easily.

• Lesli Neubauer (South central TX zone 8b/9)
    4 years ago

I would have to say that I have the best luck with Cramoisi Superior like 500% seems that I root many more than I remember sticking

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH