Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea paniculata propogation

Posted by Mario.Q 5a MI (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 10:29

Hello,

I'm a propogation rookie and looking for some help with propagating Hydrangea Paniculata.

I made some cuttings in late spring and they rooted nicely. Once they started leafing out I transplanted them to a container and planted them using potting soil. I moved some of the cuttings outside in a shaded area to see how they would do. I kept them bottom watered. So they were more or less constantly moist. But, they all ended up wilting and dying off. What I found interesting is I also had some Hydrangea Macrophylla cuttings and they all did well outside....save for some foliage that was chewed off by a local rabbit.

I kept one of my H.P. cuttings inside and it is doing well and pushing new leafs (I also have some new cuttings I just made after removing some spent flowers from the mother plant). However, at this point I'm not sure what to do with this little plant. I'm scared to move it outside and have it die on me. I've been trying to harden the leafs off by putting it outside for a couple hours at a time. But, the plant looks to fraigle to place it outside to grow.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is I'm looking for some tips on getting a Hydrangea cutting from the stage where it's a leafed out cutting to a healthy plant that can survive out its own outside.

THanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea paniculata propogation

Opps....posted in wrong forum...I blindly followed the propogation link on the main webpage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here