Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drich30099

info on planting cuttings in ground

drich30099
9 years ago

Hi! Someone gave me two rooted rose cuttings, any special instructions on planting them in a new bed? Do I cut them back, anything with the roots etc?
I am going to have to make a new bed to plant them in, anything special I could add to the soil? I have sandy soil.
Thanks!
AND, I have an unknown climber that is getting to be 6' or so, one or two canes that is, and blooms on the few branches on the bottom of the red rebloomer, but nothing on the long cane! Will it eventually eventually bloom there?

Comments (7)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I happen to have a truck bed filled with 1g pots of my newly rooted cuttings. Mine still have some growing to do before I can plant in the ground, but what would do is slowly acclimate them to your area. Keep them where they get morning or filtered sun if they are small and tender still.

But other than preparing your soil or bed, they are like bigger plants. Not knowing the types or sizes, you might want to ask on the regular rose forums because more people from your zone can give better advice regarding winters there. We don't have winter here in SoCal so no snow-freeze worries for me.

• tallulah201
    9 years ago

I actually use my grandmothers method she would put a rock on a low branch down on the ground it roots I the. Cut it off and put in it's own hole the catch is protecting the new plant so I use the rock beside to protect it I just rooted six roses during July ( no not a month with an "R" in it) I leave that rock or brick with the plant I. Summer it helps keep the water in and I. Winter protects from cold by next spring my rosebushes will be big gallon sized roses they just seem to be heartier when you root them dump some good miracle gro in the hole before you put them in the sand and soil will make them happy I also us the Bayer rose fertilizer

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Hi Deb! I would pot up those small rooted cuttings for a bit before I'd plant them in the ground. When they're that small it's so easy to step on them or weed whack them by mistake. If you do plant them in the ground be sure to put stakes or markers so you can see them more easily.

As for prepping the soil, sandy is good because it drains very well but it can sometimes lack some nutrients so mix in some compost if you have it. Otherwise just keep them watered. I wouldn't start fertilizing them too soon. Wait for them to start to show some new growth then start out with a diluted fertilizer and go up to full strength gradually. Those new tender roots can burn.

I'm thinking that your climber is sending up shoots from the root stock, probably Dr. Huey. He's a once blooming on old wood rose. That means he won't bloom on this year's wood at all but will next season if those tall canes survive your winter. Do the roses blooming at the base look like the original rose? Or are they a dark red single (about 5 or 6 petals) rose? If they look like your original rose then I suggest you follow those tall canes down all the way under the ground to where they start and destroy them by RIPPING them off so you do damage to the spot where they are coming from. If you just cut them off they will grow right back. If you don't destroy the root stock it will eventually take over the original rose and kill it off. If it's all the good Doctor then you have a choice to leave it, knowing it will only bloom once in the spring, or dig it out and plant something you might like better that will rebloom all season.

• drich30099
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Siel, so I do not know what the "original" rose looked like, planted it last fall, this is the first time flowering for me. The roses blooming near the ground are double red. I would assume that is the original plant color? So, I should rip off those long canes then? I've had roses for many years, i don't know anything about root stock, any of that stuff! So, I dug up some other unkowns and I believe I just got the offshoots, or suckers?, i guess I can assume those won't do anything at all? So far on those no flowers, also planted last fall.
    thank you

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Where did you buy these roses? When you bought these did they have name tags? Knowing what roses they are would be very helpful.

From your photo it looks like this was a grafted rose and all those canes are coming up from below the graft area. Because we had such a very hard winter there is a good possibility that the grafted roses you planted last fall died over the winter and all you have left are the root stocks coming up. Grafted roses are one variety of rose, like Peace, grafted (spliced onto) to a different variety of root stock. The root stock is a very strong, vigorous grower and so it pushes the grafted variety to grow faster and bigger than it would on it's own roots. The only problem with that is that if the graft area freezes and dies the root stock then takes over and grows. I think that is what has happened to yours.

Do the roses that are blooming now look like this?

That is the root stock rose called Dr. Huey. He's a fairly commonly used one. He can be quite lovely in a big display but he has his problems. For one thing he will only bloom once a season and then just grow vigorously for the rest of the season. But besides that usually after he finishes blooming he is plagued with black spot the rest of the season too. You can leave him if you like but you might want to consider replacing him with something that will bloom repeatedly all summer.

I don't know if you know it or not but in our colder climate it's not a great idea to plant new roses in the fall. I know people say you can but in practice I've found they never survive that first winter to come back in the spring. It's already quite late in our season so I would wait now until spring before planting any new roses. April/May, weather permitting, is the best time to plant roses here. Also, when you plant roses in our climate you should bury the graft, the knotty part between the roots and the canes, about 4 to 6 inches BELOW the ground for winter protection.

• drich30099
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mine looks like more of a brighter red. I'll try and attach picture. I acquired some roses from our rental house that a tenant had planted and left behind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown dbl red rose August 2014

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

No, that is not Dr. Huey. I can't say for sure what it is but it doesn't look like root stock. It may be the climber Blaze which is also a once blooming rose. I would keep it fed and watered but don't prune it. Wait until next spring and see if those tall canes bloom. For once bloomers you only want to prune them just after they bloom. Then leave them alone until the next bloom and so on.