Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yellow_rose_man

Minimum Night temperatures for Rooting Cuttings?

yellow_rose_man
15 years ago

Hi eberyone,can someone help me as to what the minimum temperatures are for rooting cuttings?I have lots of parent material to choose from now,but the nights have cooled off to the point that my cuttings rot on me before they root now.I am considering putting a heater in the greenhouse,what temperature do I have to maintain?

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments (4)

• kathleen_too
    15 years ago

When we took cuttings at college, we rooted them in a sand bed in a mist tent to keep them moist. At home you can do this by covering your cuttings stuck in a pot of sand with a vented plastic bag. We kept the propagation area of the greenhouse at around 70F. When we were certain we had ample root growth, the cuttings were planted out in a cold frame. During the summer months the cold frame had a piece of shade cloth (30% shade) and the sand was kept moist. Care was taken not to let the cuttings themselves dry out. The cuttings were allowed to grow on, if any flower buds formed during the summer, they were pinched off because we wanted the cuttings to put their energy into good roots and vegetative growth. Our new roses were used in the landscape in their second year or potted up and sold during our 'spring sale' (proceeds kept our program in the black). Our prof gave us top marks if our cutting 'crop' had a 50% success rate or better.

• cannabisgrower
    15 years ago

minimum is 70, maximum 75, maybe max 80 at most. you must keep the root zone warm, or u will get nothing. read george mander, by using the google search motor.

• yellow_rose_man
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the responses,I figured it was the nightime temperatures rotting my cuttings,unfortunately with all the cold rainy weather we had this summer,I was not able to harvest as many cuttings as I would have liked to.

• cactusjoe1
    15 years ago

There are two temperatures that you should consider - air temperature and media temperature.

In general, maintaining media temperature between 73 to 77F (23-25 C) is ideal and promotes callus and root development. Ideal air temperature if bottom heat is used is generally around 68-73F (20-23C). But if bottom heat is not used, air temperature should be increased to the high 70's F (25-27 C). It is ideal to keep the air temperature below media temperature, as this inhibits shoot and leaf growth, but increases root growth - exactly what we want. Then, once the root system is in place, increasing the air temperature will promote shoot and leaf growth. If you are getting shoots and leave, but no roots, then bottom heating to keep the media temperature warmer than air temperature may help.

I find this article very helpful and easy to understand. It is not specific to roses, but the general principles apply.

Don't be put off by some of the technical terms and special equipment - e.g., humidity can be kept high by frequent misting and by enclosing the cuttings and media in a transparent plastic bag. The top of your fridge provides some bottom heat. Your house temperature is already pretty close to the ideal air temperature.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH