Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brkieffner

Did I do it right? Cutting and Rooting.

brkieffner
12 years ago

Here is the picture of my Double Delight rose that I want to grow by propagation and own roots. I cut the stem about 8 inches from the flower. Defoliated the bottom 2 leaves. Dipped about 2-3 inches of it in rooting powder and put it in Miracle-Gro organic potting mix.

Did I do it right?

{{gwi:1242754}}

Comments (5)

• BowsByMaude
    12 years ago

I think most people cut the flower off so that is just the stem and leaves. Also, the whole thing should be inside an inflated plastic bag because it needs intense humidity until it develops roots.

www.bowsbymaude.com

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I agree, you need to cut the bloom off. Next time use a tall clear plastic cup. When it gets roots you'll be able to see them through the cup without disturbing the plant. I don't put mine in plastic bags. Just keep it well watered and in dappled sun so it doesn't ever dry out. I usually cut the stems as long as possible, maybe 12 to 18 inches so I can get more bud eyes down in the soil too. But keep an eye on it because otherwise you did great and my bet is that it will take!

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Oh, I forgot to tell you make sure you punch a hole in the bottom of the cup for drainage.

• barbarajon
    12 years ago

To ensure that it grows roots, one must always keep it moist by watering it almost 4 times in a day. It should be moist, but not completely dampened. By the way since the roots supports the bloom, that's why it is said that the bloom should be cut.

• pizzuti
    12 years ago

Cut off the bloom... the petals can't photosynthesize so use up sugar without giving anything back to the cutting that is trying to root. That's why most plants don't bloom until they're healthy and reach a certain size - a size that is much larger than your cutting currently is.

For a greenhouse, I believe you could take an empty, clear, 2-leader pop bottle, remove the lid, cut off the bottom, and set it over the plant, for a greenhouse. That will keep humidity high inside it, but it will also allow some air circulation and allow it to dry periodically to prevent mold from growing.

Then put it in an area with lots of light but no direct sun.