o
Plant propagation

Posted by palmtreeman 8A (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 15:35

I was wondering which kind od plants can be probagated by leaf cuttings

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant propagation

Pretty much anything. Cuttings are divided into two categories, softwood cuttings (flowers, vegetables, other obvious "soft" plants) and hardwood cuttings (trees, woody shrubs, etc.). Softwood cuttings are much easier to start... just get some root tone powder, dip the end of the cutting in it (where you want to grow roots) and place it in well-watered soil (though over watered cuttings will begin to rot).

For hardwood cuttings, you may do the same, but place a plastic bag over the pot and the cutting to maintain a high humidity level around the cutting. Again, do not over water or it will rot.

Don't place cuttings in direct sun, and DO NOT pull at them to check for roots. I know its tempting but it will destroy the project.

Have fun!

o
RE: Plant propagation

Plants with thick, succulent leaves tend to be easier to propagate with leaf cuttings. African violets are easy, as are kalanchoe, stonecrops, Aloes, Echeveria, Sanseveria, Jade plant, etc.

It is easy to experiment since taking a leaf off of a plant does not change its appearance much. Succulent leaves can be rooted without a cover, and it may even help to allow the cut end to dry out for a few hours or a day for plants like Aloe. A loose rooting mix with lots of perlite can help prevent fungal infections and encourage root growth. For other plants it may be necessary to use a rooting hormone and maintain high humidity around the cutting.

o
Oops, wrong forum

I just noticed that this was in the ROSE propagation forum as I sent that reply. I thought this was the regular propagation forum. Wish they could let us edit our posts here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here