Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new cuttings over winter

Posted by belleville_rose_gr so.illinois (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 12, 06 at 17:52

I have finally have some cuttings that have taken root after 2 years of trying.... patience is a virtue. The cuttings are were made about 6-7weeks ago. Anyway I live in the midwest so should I plant the cuttings this fall, leave them in their pots and plant them and then in the spring permanently place them or leave them in the house over winter. I used 2 gallon pots so their is plenty room for root growth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new cuttings over winter

Karl Bapst posted some info about that on this thread. I had wondered about that, too, as I have a horde of cuttings coming along this Fall. :-) Congrats on rooting your cuttings!

I am going to overwinter mine in an unheated cellar.

Happy Gardening,
Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: Karl's post on overwintering

o

This is a very timely thread for me too, as i'm thinking about ordering a few more for Fall delivery. I'd rather have them right now, but, alas, no shipping right now from the vendors I need.

Last year I brought in my started cuttings and grew them on under lights in an unheated workroom--but central North Carolina temperatures are not like those in Belleville. This year I have far too many rose babies to bring inside, so I'll have to figure out something else.

Before moving here I was a member of the Belleville Area Rose Society--great folks and very helpful too. Six years later I still miss that group! Perhaps some of those Consulting Rosarians are still around and could help you.
Best Wishes and congratualtions on getting the cuttings going,
Laurel

o

I would leave them outside and let them go dormant, then sink the pots in the ground and cover them with some kind of winter protection. Others who garden more northerly than I do might know the best way to protect roses where you are.

I doubt the cuttings would do well indoors over the winter, unless in an unheated basement or garage. But I expect you will lose some some of them if they aren't sheltered in some way.

Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here