Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sources of Coir

Posted by elks US5, Can6b (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 2, 06 at 17:59

PlantBest markets coir cheaply under the name Peat Eliminator. There are various places both stateside and in Canada.
Steve.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peat Eliminator Homepage

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sources of Coir

Thank you. I had been searching for a source. You made it easy for me. Today I shall go to Home depot and Ace hardware in my area to see if have the stock currently.
Thanks once again,
Ranjana

o

• Posted by elks US5, Can6b (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 3, 06 at 6:54

Your welcome, and good luck with it.
Steve.

o

I have never seen this product available here in the U.S., but maybe ACE can order it. I know they do not stock (at least at the ACE stores around here). I find it very easily at hydroponic and brew & Grow stores here in MI.
Ranjana, you could not find it at the stortes I gave you in the Pit area?

o

You can find coir at Petco, probably at other large pet stores. It's sold as reptile bedding; if you don't have one near you here's the ordering link:

http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_R_1884_PC_productlist_Nav_260_N_27+100_sku_864200_familyID_10813.aspx

o

• Posted by melva 7b/8aTX (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 7, 06 at 20:09

I have been getting mine from sellers on e-bay.

o

I called I don't know how many places, including our local Petco. The only coir I found was the wrong kind at a large nursery, the kind for lining planters. I suggest you call some of those places rather wasting gas, time and energy running all over looking for it.

On another, thread we got to talking about it again, and I called Petco again and asked for "the stuff that you use for reptile cages". "Just a minute, I'll transfer you to the reptile department."

Reptile department: "Yes, we have that. It comes in brick form for $4.99. It is called 'ecoearth'".

I haven't gotten any yet, but it's good to know where I can buy it locally. I bought so much stuff this year, I decided to use what I have, and one of the best rose experts here uses a special potting soil which I doubt if we have here without umpteen more calls. He used to use vermiculite and peat moss, so that is what I am using this time until it is used up, then I might try the coir or the special potting mix.

Between all the bags of mulch (have six on hand), potting soil, and the vermiculite, peat moss, pearlite, rooting hormone, I have bought, other garden stuff, enough is enough until I get some of it used up. It's not the $4.99.

Petco is your best bet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here