Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abrendel_gw

Wanted Buck Rose Cuttings

abrendel
16 years ago

I've tried to find these through other sources but I can't find a nursery that carries any of these so I'm hoping someone out there does.

Looking for cuttings of the following Buck Roses:

Andante

Cantabile

Kissin' Cousin

Paraglider

Pippa's Song

Pizzicato

Prairie Gold

Prairie Heritage

Prairie Rhapsody

Prairie Symphony

Red Sparkler

I'm located in Benton City, WA and I'm happy to pick up or pay for postage if anyone has cuttings of these roses.

THANKS!

Alison

Comments (3)

• mgleason56
    16 years ago

All of these roses are almost impossible to find. I've also been looking for these to add to my Buck collection, but have been told they probably are lost.

• abrendel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's basically what I was guessing is that they were lost, but I had to ask. I sure was hoping that they are hanging out in someone's garden somewhere. How sad to have lost them.

Thanks for responding!

• kandaceshirley
    16 years ago

from the attached website

The Quest for the Missing Buck Roses
    Most of the Buck cultivars are either being grown in the Griffith Buck Garden at Iowa State's Reiman Botanical Garden) or at the Buck home. Additionally, Mark Chamblee of Chamblee's Rose Nursery has been testing Buck roses at his Tyler nursery for several years. Despite these efforts to continue the legacy of Dr. Buck's roses, there are 8 Buck cultivars that are been "lost". A giant scavenger hunt is presently underway to locate these bushes in hopes of completing the Buck collection during Mrs. Buck's lifetime.

The lost 8 cultivars are:

Red Sparkler (1967) - a hybrid tea with double, cupped-to-flat, 4 to 4 2-inch blooms of dark wine red with a lighter reverse and striped with varied widths of pale red, pink and white with an intense damask fragrance;

Andante (1962) - a salmon pink shrub rose with small clusters of double, cupped 4 to 5-inch blooms with a slight Sweetbrier fragrance;

Cantabile (1962) - a light pink shrub rose with clusters (3 - 5) of fragrant, double, medium-sized blooms of light camellia rose with darker shading;

Pizzicato (1962) - a light pink shrub with clusters (1 - 6) of slightly cupped, double, 3 to 4-inch salmon-rose blooms with a moderate wild rose fragrance;

Prairie Heritage (1978) - an orange-pink shrub rose with clusters (1-10) of fragrant, double, cupped and quartered, 4 to 4 2-inch coral pink/peach blooms, which become tinted with orange-gold as the flowers age;

Polka Time (1984) - an orange pink shrub rose with clusters (1-10) of salmon buds that open to fragrant double cupped 4 to 4 2-inch blooms of salmon tinted yellow veined with flamingo pink petals;

Kissin' Cousin (1979) - a shrub rose with clusters (1 - 5) of coral pink buds with medium rose on the reverse opening to fruity scented, double high-centered, 4 to 4 2-inch blooms that develop orange-pink tones with age;

Paraglider (1984) - a shrub rose with clusters (1-10) of orange-red buds opening to fragrant, double, cupped, 4 to 4 2-inch blooms of orange pink with deep apricot on the petal reverse.

If you grow (or know anyone who grows) the above roses please contact the author by e-mail at gayeh@oqlaw.com or by mail at 8627 Deep Valley, Houston, Texas, 77044.

Here is a link that might be useful: preservation of buck roses