Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cut rose stem growing leaves -

Posted by krystyna1937 NC (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 20:00

About 3 weeks ago I put two long stemmed roses in a Japanese Ikeban dish with water and cut flower food. I had to cut off most of the puny leaves that that got crushed in the florist's tight wrapping. After about 8-10 days the flowers died but there were new leaves growing, even branching, and generally doing very well. I top off the water and add plant food regularly now and they keep on growing. Is there a future in this? Should I try rooting the stems? Is a flower likely to brow, even a little one? They live on my balcony now where they get good daylight and some afternoon sun.
PS I tired to post this same question about an hour ago but I don't think I actually finished the process. I hope I'm not sending a duplicate now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cut rose stem growing leaves -

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 16:34

They could be rooted but unless you see actual roots on the bottom of the stems now those leaves that are developing are just using the stored energy in the cane itself. If you'd like to try rooting them get a clear plastic cup and punch a hole in the bottom. Fill it with potting or seed starting soil and poke a hole in the center of the soil with a pencil. Take the stem and very gently scrap off just the outer green skin with a knife or scissors exposing the white inner layer. Dip that into some type of rooting hormone and stick it in the hole you made in the soil and gently pack the soil back around the stem. Water it, place it in the sun and keep it evenly moist but not soggy wet and wait. It may take a few weeks to see any roots in the bottom of the cup. If the stem starts to turn brown or black at the soil line that usually means it's rotting and didn't take. If they do root they will grow and bloom like any rose. Good luck!

o

Seil, thank you for your advice. I'll try it and will report sometime in the future what, if anything, happened. I have rooted cutting before but they were easy things, such as Jade. I didn't think it would work with roses, which I've always thought of as "difficult to please".

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 14:54

It isn't really any different than rooting any other plant. Roses are survivors and given any chance will grow! I hope it works out well for you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here