Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

Roseseek, Mutabilis bloomed!

seil zone 6b MI
11 years ago

Hi Kim!

Just thought I'd let you know that three of the cuttings of Mutabilis that you sent me rooted. And one of them has given me a tiny bloom!

I'm so excited!

Thank you!

Comments (11)

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Way cool, Sharon! You're welcome! Thanks for sharing the photo. I hope you can nurse it along in your climate. You're going to love this rose. Rub the peduncle, ovary and sepals them smell them and your fingers. It's a sweet, peppery scent. Now, imagine a bazillian of them perfuming the air for many feet around the plant on a warm, moist day. Delicious! Have fun with it! Kim

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tip, I'll do that! They'll spend this winter in the little greenhouse with the seedlings so they should be OK. Next spring I'll put them in bigger pots and see how big they get before I decide on putting them in the ground. I may baby them another winter before I try to leave them out though.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

I hope you can get it to flower next year when you're pollinating. It will set seed, but not many and they are hit and miss to germinate. Usually, it likes setting by itself, so use it for pollen. The pollen is fertile and worth exploring. I have a single, pink (what else? LOL!) seedling out front from Marie Pavie X Mutabilis. Nice foliage and it is finally starting to throw larger, open clusters of the medium pink, single flowers. Should be interesting! Kim

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Great Seil! I've heard that its hard to root :) its a really great rose and Hardy here...you'll really love it!

Tammy

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Tammy! Kim sent me a bunch of cuttings and I stuck quite a few and gave the rest to rose friends. Of the ones I stuck only these three rooted. It's going to be an experiment for me because I'm not sure it will winter here but I'm hoping!

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yippee! Mutabilis has another bud!!!

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Great! I hope you can maintain it to a large plant. Once you've witnessed hundreds to thousands of those flowers at once, you'll keep coming back for more! There are so many tints and shades available all at one time, it really does look like a huge bush full of various butterflies. Kim

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Sharon, you might also like Louis Lens' Apricot Bells and Patricia Beucher, both crosses of Agalia X Mutabilis. Both are rated hardy to 6b. Plaisantarie is a sister of theirs, but I don't grow that one. I do have the first two, if you'd like cuttings... Kim

Apricot Bells

http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.32525

Here is a link that might be useful: Patricia Beucher

• maternut
    11 years ago

I love my Mutabilis, never had a cutting to root. Any advice, tried spring and fall. Please help.

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maternut, I just did my usual process. I do have to say that I stuck about 10 or 12 and only 3 rooted. I use seed starter soil in a clear plastic cup with holes in the bottom, scrap the sides of the cutting a little with a sharp knife to expose the white pith, dip the cuttings in rooting hormone, stick a pencil in the soil and put the cutting in and firm up the soil around it and put it out in the sun. Then it's just a matter of keeping the soil constantly damp but not soggy and waiting. In about 6 weeks I start to check for roots inside the cup. That's why I like the clear cups, you can see the roots! Once I can see that there is a good looking root system in the cup I pot them up into 1 gallon pots. It doesn't work all the time but it's been the most successful method I've tried. I only do mine outside so I have to do them early in the season, June is best but I have done some in early July. Otherwise they're not big enough by the end of the season to winter even in the little greenhouse. And I never try to grow roses inside the house. Well, I do start my seeds inside in January in trays but they go out by April because I'll kill them in the house for sure.

• maternut
    11 years ago

Thanks Seil I do have a green house, will try some this fall , if no luck will try in the spring.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction