Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

advise me please, How did I loose 99 rose cuttings?

luxrosa
12 years ago

I hope that one of you can help me troubleshoot.

in October last year, I took a couple of cuttings of 'Flutterbye' which is a pretty yellow Souleana hybrid , not only did both cuttings strike roots, but they both flowered whilst still in the zip loc bag after less than 16 weeks from the day they were cut from the rosebush! Ta da! I was so excited that in December though January I took another 99 hard rose cuttings from various Tea roses, Chinas, Noisettes and a couple H.P.s .

My usual strike rate has been around 80% over the last 5 years.

I sprained my ankle badly in December and didn't want to drive my car to the nursery from which I usually buy my rose propagation soil blend because it is several miles away and I'd have had to press the clutch with my bad foot, this is relevant because it led me to do what I normally would not , after a friend drove me to the nearest Walgreens to pick up medicine and whilst I was there I saw they had potting soil on sale for 49 cents a bag, I bought a bunch of bags and used it as I usually do, in ziplock bags by the Mel Hulse method, for my next 99 cuttings.

Every one of those cuttings died, though a great majority of them had callused.

I was so stunned that I lost all my baby rosebushes that I felt as though I had gone into mourning.

Do you ever feel that way over a rose you've grown from a wee cutting?

Is it possible that the bagged soil had some chemical in it, or was contaminated in some way???

I was so heartbroken that I have not yet propagated any roses this summer.

Thanks,

Luxrosa

Comments (5)

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I'd say that if all 99 died it was probably that soil! I mean, the odds of them ALL dying are pretty slim otherwise. I'd read the label on that soil really closely and see what's in it. Maybe a fertilizer? Or, and I've seen this, a seed germination suppressant of some kind (like Preen) to prevent weeds?

So sorry about your babies, and I do know exactly how you feel. I have cried when one of my favorite seedlings bit the dust! Don't let it stop you though! Go buy the stuff you usually use and try again. I'm sure you'll have better success this time!

• User
    12 years ago

oh bummer! All that work. I did another half dozen at the weekend. Although the photoperiod tips on September 1st (in Cambridge) - the days start to get shorter - it is still worth having another crack at it if you feel up to it. I think the issue was definately the potting soil. I use the water or soda bottle method, I push the clear bottles deep into the mix so it makes a self-enclosed mini bio-dome: there is always a high level of moisture. Anyhow, I find that the less organic matter in the mix, the better to avoid rotting(stems start to go black and it's game over). I go for a third horticutural sand, a third John Innes seed compost (loam with very little base fertiliser) and a third vermiculite, perlite or even grit - whatever comes to hand. I could probably root them in pure sand but, yah know, intuitively, it just doesn't feel quite right.Still time.......

• luxrosa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for your sympathetic responses.

I think my courage has returned, I'm about to ask my neighbor if I can take cuttings from a couple of her Old Garden Tea roses.
    I read the label on the bad potting soil and all it listed were soil components; peat et cetera, no fertilizer. I don't know if U.S. law compels listing of all ingredients in packaged soil mixture, I believe that even some dairy items are exempt from total disclosure on labeling, or used to be.

Lux.

• erasmus_gw
    12 years ago

One year I used a different brand of potting soil and lost more baby plants to rot. It didn't drain as well as the other soil, and the plants that didn't die grew more slowly. Now I stick with my favorite Miracle Grow Moisture Control formula..it does have food in it but never seems to harm cuttings even when newly rooted. I'm sure you'll have good results again with your usual soil.

• pizzuti
    12 years ago

It's possible that there was a problem with the soil, but to really know you'd have to look at ALL the variables that were different; the time of year, the temperature, the state the plant was in when you took the cuttings, water levels, etc.

I don't know how much the temperature/climate varies in Oakland, but certainly in December you still have less light just as you would in any other mid-latitude location when you compare it to June daylight.

That might have an impact on cuttings; I would think that if a mature rose plant would not be able to grow in a certain location because light levels are too low (such as in a window or shaded spot), a cutting, which is in an especially traumatic situation trying to live without roots, would not be able to live with such little light either, because it has the same requirements plus the additional need to grow quite quickly to be able to put out roots before using up existing nutrients and dying. The short days/winter light levels might have created too little light.

My sense is that with cuttings, too much intense light + heat is bad, but you can compensate for low light levels by increasing daylight hours. That's why a cool, shady place in May or June when days are very long is really ideal; "full-sun" plants can deal with shade when the days last so long. Meanwhile, in fall/winter (the closer you get to December 21) they can't get enough energy from shade, so you have the tougher situation of having to put them in full sun where they can scorch.

That's just a guess. For all I know you were using artificial light and everything I am suggesting is meaningless. My sense is that 100% loss is pretty intense and something like diseased soil would kill some, but not all, cuttings. I don't know, but all I can say is keep trying. I have had really awful luck with rose cuttings so I am trying new things as well.