Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_shrooms

Tea Rose Plum seeds

love-shrooms
13 years ago

I bought some Tea rose plum seeds and when i got it i found out that the seeds are really small. Alot smaller than i thought they would be. I don't to mess up starting these seeds but they didn't come with any instructions about how to grow them. so i was hoping that someone on here has already found out a good way to start growing these tiny seeds

Also as another question about roses or rose seeds is there any place that DOES have bourbon rose seeds. Ive found a store online that has a few but they are started plants, and in the past Ive had bad luck with living things coming in the mail or by delivery. So if anyone knows of a place that does have those seeds I would really like to know.

thank you for helping

Comments (5)

• hartwood
    13 years ago

Roses are not sold to gardeners as seeds. Germinating rose seeds is tricky, and is usually only done by hybridizers seeking to breed new types of roses ... as the seeds will all be different than the parents. For example, seeds from Zephirine Drouhin (a climbing Bourbon) will carry traits from ZD, but will be different from each other like children within a human family.

I have ordered roses from most of the online nurseries, and I have received quality plants in most cases. Got roses in the mail just last month, and the month before that, and the month before that ... I have LOTS of roses, most of which came through the mail. And I mail roses to others, with only one instance of loss -- due to traumatic damage in transit, not any problem with the plants.

Hope this helps,
    Connie

• heavenlyfarm
    13 years ago

I would like to know about growing them from seed too. I've been pondering about trying to find someone with rose seeds just to try it out and see how it goes, at least just for "fun" and see what different roses they produce.

• booboobolhuis
    13 years ago

I have grown roses from seed and I always look at it as a science project; "What am I going to get this time". It's not an easy process and takes ALOT of attention, and honestly alot do not make it. I love roses and have quite a few and feel that there isn't anything wrong with seeing what comes out. I soak the seeds in water before planting, that is a biggie, I firmly believe that this helps from my own experience. I always save the seeds that come from my roses whether I want to try to germinate them or not, if they readily give me hips I will gladly take the seeds when ready. Good luck with your seeds, make sure you go into it knowing it is not going to come out looking like the plant you want and make it fun. :) Jennifer

• cottage_garden
    13 years ago

Hello. I actually do plant the rose seeds I acquire from my plants. I only plant them in a 50/50 peat and perlite mixture. They're planted in small containers until they germinate where they're then transferred into larger pots until they're strong enough to go into the garden directly.

They're extremely easy to grow from seed and I agree with Jennifer, it's like a fun experiment because you never really know what you're going to get.

Do let me know if you need additional information. And, I have just collected rose seeds for anyone interested in experimenting.

Julie

• sweetmichelia
    13 years ago

cottage_garden, can you post some of your prettiest babies you have from your seed planting? That would be so fun~

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH