Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

How hard is it to learn budding, and which rootstock is good?

luxrosa
10 years ago

I've given up on trying to grow 'Marachel Niel' on his own roots, after 3 years of pampering the bush, it is still less than 2 feet tall.
- I'd be grateful if anyone could suggest an easy way to bud roses onto rootstock, or tell me of a website with the information.
-also, which rootstock would be the best one to use?
I live in the san francisco bay area, where the native soil is dense clay, which I've amended to a ph. of 6.3 in the rose garden

I was considering using R, californica for rootstock because it has grown rapidly in my front yard in native soil near the sidewalk and it seems not to mind clay at all. Might that rose make a good rootstock?

I also have an Albertine' (wich x Pernetiana) hybrid that I was curious about using for rootstock because it has both wicherana and Persiana as close relatives, and Albertine is a vigerous plant.

There is a R. multiflora nearby that I might be able to get cuttings from, and R. moschata in my front yard.

my neighbors Florabunda is budded onto Dr. Huey, and since the rootstock has jumped the graft, I could get cuttings from that cane.

I'd also like to bud an' Irene Chirucca'
which leads to my third question;
-do different rose cultivars do better on a specific rootstock or is it more of a soil compatibility thang with the rootstock?

Thanks so much,

Luxrosa

Comments (3)

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Dr. Huey is a tried and true rootstock, and it is easy to root and easy to get buds to take.

There are all kinds of variables with rootstocks -- how long lived they are, whether the roots have a tendency to stay shallow (like fortuniana) or dig through clay (like Dr. Huey), how well the grafts take and how easily the first cambium layer of the stem lifts up from the stem to allow you to do the graft without tearing it. You just have to try to find out. I sometimes use my soon-to-be-discarded seedlings as rootstocks -- the ones that decided to be once-bloomers, for example, so I can vouch for the results being all over the place. There is a wide range of variables.

My favorite root stock is one called Pink Clouds -- I have yet to find any fault with it. It is what Ralph Moore's operation (and now Burling Leong) used.

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Hi- budding roses is easy and fun, once you get the hang of it. But be careful- learn to do all cuts away from you, not towards you. This makes it tougher at first, but will save you a fair bit of spilled blood. I'm quite serious.

This is Burling Leong's tutorial

Here is a link that might be useful: budding tree roses

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Lux, Pink Clouds is Burling's preferred stock as she says it remains ready to bud much of the year. Her Chip Budding method Donald shared above is particularly suited to it. Being mainly multiflora, it roots very easily. You need to root it this year for budding next. I can happily share cuttings with you if you need/want them. It's a largish, often once flowering climber with potential for repeat in good circumstances. Private message me if you'd like cuttings. Priority Mail gets things from El Lay to NorCal (and vice versa) in two to two and a half days. More than you would ever want will fit in a small Priority box. I just budded to some last week and they appear to be doing fine.

Another I like very much is using Cardinal Hume as under stock. It roots as easily as Pink Clouds and has accepted everything I've put on it. To hedge my bets, I budded the wood I received to both Pink Clouds and Hume, as well as tried rooting the remaining material. Normally, rooting here in the heat doesn't work, but I massaged it a bit, using seed starter mix instead of potting soil. I placed the pot in filtered direct sun for the morning hours. They're nearly two weeks old and still green and plump. The largest one actually has swelling buds. But, if you'd like either or both of these stocks to play with, I'll be happy to share. A main issue to keep in mind is, match the guage of your bud wood with that of the stock. A bud from an inch thick stem won't work on a half inch thick stock. You can do the reverse, but the stock has to be at least as thick as the bud stick or the bud won't make sufficient contact to callus. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Clouds.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting