Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roots but no leaves

Posted by Maude80 none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 22:40

Hi everyone,

I know that when rooting rose cuttings, the most important thing is to get the roots to grow, not the leaves. What happens though when you have roots, but the plant is not putting out any new shoots? Some of them have been potted for around a month, still in plastic, but not making any new leaves.

Is there anything special that I should be doing to induce new growth, or does it not matter for a while??

Maude

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roots but no leaves

I am in the same situation sometimes ... roots and no leaves for what seems like forever. I leave the cuttings alone until the leaves start to form. Sometimes it doesn't take long, sometimes it never happens ... it's hard to tell. Most of the time, tho, leaves form, the plant grows, and you have a new rose for your garden.

Patience is the most important aspect of propagation.

o

Same problem here- a few roots, then wait and wait until the cutting eventually turns black. I suspect it has to do with inadequate energy stored in the cutting but that's just a guess.

o

I have considered that the cuttings might not have adequate energy since the ones I am talking about have shed their original leaves. I'm thinking that if I put my cuttings outside in full sun, the brighter light will force them to put out new shoots. I mean, if they already have roots, then maybe they can take full sun or at least something much brighter than my window.

Maude

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 18:42

I do all my cuttings outside in full sun. It does take a long time for them to start to grow once they have roots. You have to be patient.

o

You don't keep them in the bags do you when they are outside. I imagine that would cook them, right??

maude

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here