Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threegirls0408

Help!!!!Bare roots not producing!

threegirls0408
15 years ago

Several months ago I bought about 8 bare roots from J & P and followed the enclosed directions exactly (soaking for 24 hours, hole twice the size of roots etc.) Needless to say all of these bare roots have turned brown and are doing nothing. Does anyone know if I should just pull them up and start over or will they "wake up" in the Spring?

Comments (3)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

If they are brown, they are dead. Call J&P and ask for a refund. Try again.

The issue with bareroots is keeping both the upper canes and the roots well hydrated. Once they are planted, you have to cover the canes with damp mulch or damp soil or a paper bag (with hole torn out of the bottom) in order to keep the canes hydrated until they break dormancy. Once they break dormancy (new growth coming from the canes), then you remove the soil or bag. And you have to keep the roots well hydrated too.

Here is a link that might be useful: AARS: Planting a Bare Root Rose

• threegirls0408
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the advice Diane_j I was afraid they might be dead but I needed someone to actually tell me, sigh! I appreciate your time.

• mgleason56
    15 years ago

I'd be interested in knowing when you got these from J&P. Assuming you are in Locust Grove, VA. you should have received these in March.

If you get a credit towards 8 more, you might want to pot these up so you can cater to their needs until they break dormancy. That's just my opinion, but it works for me. Just let us out here know when you get your new bareroots, and we'll be happy to walk you through the process.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!