Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_minnamouse

Have you ever used any of these?

ms_minnamouse
15 years ago

First off, what rooting hormones do you like best for all your plants, just just roses?

And, do you use any of these products? Not necessarily just on roses.

Wilt-Pruf

Vita Grow Anti-Wilt

Grotek No Wilt Cloning Wax

Vita Grow Rooting Compound

Actinovate SP

Mega Grow.

I'd really like to know before I make my order and spend $60 plus on stuff that might not even work!

Comments (9)

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

I've been having success rooting roses lately, and I don't use any rooting products at all. I'm beginning to think the most important factor is the timimg of the cuttings. But, realize this is coming from a NEWBIE!

Robert

• hartwood
    15 years ago

I agree with Robert. Good quality cuttings taken at the correct time will give you your best chance for roots.

Since you asked specifically about rooting hormones for different types of plants, check Dip n Grow liquid. It comes in a concentrate -- use a different strength depending upon whether you're rooting hardwood, semi-hardwood, or softwood cuttings. As far as roses are concerned, I notice no difference between the strike rate with Dip n Grow and plain old Rootone.

What were you thinking you'd use all those other products for?

Connie

• ramblinrosez7b
    15 years ago

What is the correct time to take cuttings to root?

• hartwood
    15 years ago

A cutting taken at the correct time is one with a dead flower at the end of it. Ideally, you'll want to get the entire blooming lateral, right down to the spot where it joins the main cane.

I recently put a photo tutorial on one method of rooting roses as the first installment in the "How To" section of my web site. Check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Web Site

• ramblinrosez7b
    15 years ago

Thank you Connie, your tutorial was very informative, it explains the process of rooting cuttings very well.

I've had really great luck with the rootone, and I do most of my cuttings outside in the ground over the winter. I had no luck doing them in the summer..., I guess it was just too hot and the cuttings turned black. However, the problem with doing them outside over the winter is that it takes so long. It takes a full year for the roots to get established before I can move them. I start them in late Sept. and Oct and don't move them until the following fall so all summer they are establishing a strong root system.
    I don't have room inside to grow them under lights for I use my small light system for rose seedlings.

Again thanks Connie, very nice web site you have, and I love your home, its very beautiful.

• ms_minnamouse
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I dunno. Just general plants. Fruiting plants, vines, trees, shrubs, vegetative growth, softwood, hardwood.

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

I'm not convinced the heat is the problem in the summer. I had wonderful success in a very hot greenhouse...well over 100 degrees. My success was not with gallicas, albas, damasks, moss. I will try dormant cuttings of these this late autumn.

Robert

• ogroser
    15 years ago

Robert - What method do you use for dormant cuttings? Hormone, mix. temps, bottom heat, etc. I have tried late fall but not dormant. I have heard that bottom heat from a pad worked on albas. Thanks. Best, Nick

• ramblinrosez7b
    15 years ago

You know it might just have to do with the temperature of the soil in the fall around here. It starts to get cold at night in the 50's, and perhaps there is no fungi growing to cause the cuttings to rot. I'm just guessing on this though. All I know is that when spring time comes I have roots on my cuttings. I use a clear plastic jug over the cuttings for humidity and it seems to work pretty well.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner