Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone know if Rootone powder loses potency over time?

Posted by mike_in_new_orleans 9a/ coastal LA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 4, 06 at 8:52

I've been using the same little packet of rootone rooting powder for the past 3 or 4 years. I only make a handful of new plants each year, so the stuff has lasted. My last couple of efforts, though, have seemed to take a bit longer and not as many stems rooted successfully. It could be a number of factors...like taking them in summer instead of spring or fall, poor choice of potting mix, the specific rose varieties, or whatever. But one factor I am wondering about is the rooting hormone itself. There is no expiration date listed on the packet, but it is also several years old. Does anyone here know for sure if the hormone remains chemically stable, or if it loses potency and should be disguarded? Thanks.
Oh, incidentally, about that potting mix question, I just took the suggestion from some other threads here and got some coconut coir and planted my first batch of stems two days ago. I'm excited to see if they root more quickly as several have reported.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
It does, darn it.

Toss that packet, and make yourself some willow water! That's only good overnight but it is free.
I use Dip and Grow, which I sincerely hope does not go bad. With my luck it probably does.

o
RE: Anyone know if Rootone powder loses potency over time?

Is Willow Water made with willow branches? If so, I don't have any of those growing around here.
But does Rootone actually expire? Or are you just saying throw it out to be sure I'm using something fresh?

o

My understanding is that it goes bad rather quickly once exposed to air. This is just what I have heard. Don't take it as fact.

o

I have been told that rooting hormone degrades rather quickly once it is exposed to light, heat, and/or air...

o

So if I have some that is still in a sealed packet can I keep it for a while as long as it stays sealed? Thanks.

o

Ive been using the same little package since august 78 it still does the job for me.

o

I have been using the from the same white plastic bottle for 5+ years. I keep it in the greenhouse (jar sealed) so it is exposed to heat etc... was wondering just the other day if it does go bad/flat and if so when, but so far working just fine (keeping fingers crossed!) :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here