Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it time for burritos in So CA?

Posted by kittymoonbeam 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 9:15

Are we cool enough yet, or should I wait a little longer? I want to try it out this year. I only have a 50% success with my other cuttings method.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it time for burritos in So CA?

In my experience and in my climate and conditions, no, it is not time to wrap cuttings. My success here comes from using material which is not actively pushing new foliage, canes nor flowers and which have not pushed any new growth for many weeks. Here, as long as the weather actually turns 'winter', instead of remaining warm enough to encourage continued flowering, that is most often late December through mid April. That varies greatly year to year depending upon whether 'winter' actually occurs or not.

My impression is, wrapping cuttings which have not become as dormant as possible fails because they contain insufficient stored resources to permit them to callus and support themselves until they root.

There are many variables which can greatly influence results and these will vary greatly from climate to climate as well as one rose type to the next. So, your mileage is going to vary depending upon where you are and what roses you are attempting to wrap. If your conditions are generally like Southern California, Zone 10, arid, hot, "savannah" type, now is probably not the most appropriate time because the condition of the cutting material is likely not appropriate to permit it to succeed using this method. But, try it. Perhaps you might find it can work for you in your conditions now. It hasn't in mine until roughly the time period I stated above. Good luck! Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here