Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecb_nuseries

how exactly to start roses from cuttings.

ecb_nuseries
14 years ago

I have tried time and time again to start rose cuttings and they always die! i need detailed information on how to start the roses. how big of cuttings, what type of soil, how much water, use root tone or not, how high of humidity, depth of soil for cuttings, basicly everything and anything someone can tell me. I have a pink rose growing in my yard and everyone loves them and i have the idea im going to start some and sell them but i dont know how.

Comments (16)

• dreamrosered
    14 years ago

I take cutting with at least two 5 leaf stems, I cut them only when the rose has been watered well. Taking cutting with spent blooms seems to help (cut off the spent bloom) Then you can use the soda bottle method (cut off the bottom of a soda bottle, use the top part as a mini greenhouse) Make sure you have good drainage, make a hole in the soil with a pencil and cut the bottom of the stem at a 45 degree angle, dip the cut in rooting hormone (not too much) and put in the hole in your mud. then cover with a soda bottle or a mason jar (mason jar works well for me) I have found any soil mix with lots of perlite and no fertalizer works well. Make sure to keep soil moist not wet and out of direct sunlight. Sadly growing cuttings is a bit of a craps shoot. I bought a 4 tier plastic green house from wal-mart for $15 and my cutting seem to really like it, I have lost a few but most are doing well and are rooted.

Good luck and dont lose heart, you will find a method that works well for you by trial and error. No method is fool proof, some just work better than others.

• ecb_nuseries
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks much! i really hope it works. btw is there a certain time to take the cuttings?

• jerryngeorgia31557
    14 years ago

I have found that this is the best method to root easily from cuttings. Check out Hartwoodroses.com to see a nearly fool-proof method for propagating roses from cuttings. This works for just about everything you want to root.

• Coralred
    14 years ago

I see that some roses are grafted to a more robust root stocks, can I still take cutting from it? How will it perform without the root stock?

• kevins_choice
    14 years ago

type in rose stenting in google and look for a video. it is a method of striking and grafting in one. and possibly use a ultrasonic fogger.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

In most growing conditions roses will do very well on their own roots. For those that don't they are easily budded onto a vigorous root stock. Al

• phatboyrose
    14 years ago

The best that have found on the subject. Be sure to check out the pictures a whole lot of detail here.
    Harold

http://roseexchange.biz/roseexchange/discus/messages/2/34.html?1055435244

• saldut
    14 years ago

Hi phatboyrose- I typed the address given and Google can't find it, please can you post a Link ? Thanks, sally

• phatboyrose
    14 years ago

Sally just left click on the address and then right click to copy then paste it in your address box at the top of your computer screen. Hope this helps , it works I just tried it.
    Harold

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    14 years ago

Where do you obtain the multiflora needed for the cuttings? I looked on helpmefind and there were 4 kinds. If ordered as bands, wouldnt these have to be grown out first as a larger plant before they could nbe used as cuttings?

• sally54
    10 years ago

thanks everybody I have several started and can't drive down the street now without thinking hey I might be able to get a start off of that I'm going to need a bigger yard

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

coralred you just have to see how strong it will be on its own roots. Once you have a plant going, you can try grafting a piece to a strong growing rose if it needs stronger roots.

• overdrive
    10 years ago

Hi I have done successful rose cuttings a lot. Last year I did over 1000 cuttings, and had one failure after another until I finally perfected the method: I use the leaf-bud method, so if you google roses leaf-bud cuttings, you will find my articles. Basically I use semi-ripe, short cuttings consist of two leaves: the bottom leaf is taken off, leaving a basal bud, and there is one leaf up top with its bud. The entire stem is buried at an angle in the medium. the base of the leaf is also buried, and the top part of the leaf sticks out to capture light and produce food: very important is the choice of medium: I use rotted shredded Christmas tree mixed with some peat and commercial compost enriched with worm casting. Instead of Christmas tree, you can also use finely shredded bark. The important ingredient is compost - can be leaf compost, or from garden centre, but I find if you try sterile medium, like everyone recommends, it always fails. I use rooting gel, and within 4 - 6 weeks, you will get roots. My cuttings are now three months old, and doing great. My success rate was 25% - but the leaf-bud method allows you to take plenty of cuttings so even if one out of four make it - i stuck 12 dozen cuttings and i've got 3 dozen nice bushes now. :) Sometimes it roots but both buds have died, so i get more rooted than actual complete success. All you need is for one bud to survive the ordeal, and the rose will know what to do. Some cultivars are more easy than others - I had great luck with David Austin Winchester Cathedral - about 75% success rate, without using any trick medium.

Here is a link that might be useful: this is my description of how to do it with just tiny cuttings

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    10 years ago

Here is how I have been doing it for years with 95% success.
    I select my cuttings from a stem that has just bloomed. I cut the blossom off and strip the bottom two leaves. The node where the leave was attached is where the roots will come out. I then take a sharp knife and cut into the stem lengthwise to the node
    I use rooting hormone.
    I put my cuttings directly into the ground in a shady side of the house. I use a screwdriver to poke a hole into the soil. I dip the cutting into the hormone and put it into the soil pressing the soil firmly around the cutting. I use a plastic jug or a liter pop bottle, If the bottle is clear spray paint it white. Put the jug over the top of the cutting. The cap unscrews and you can use the hose to water them. I fill the jug up once a week or so. In about 6 weeks I have a new plant. If it is in summer I will remove the lid and harden it off. That is very important! If the cuttings were done in the fall, take the lid off after frost has past. Then remove the jug in early summer.
    I have a lot of very hard to get roses I got from Rose Shows! Best shopping place for cuttings!!!!
    Good luck!

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Hello- As you can see, there are many ways to grow roses from cuttings. The only thing I wanted to add is that success varies a lot from one person to another using the exact same methods, due to variations in light and humidity, the two main ingredients for success.
    You need high enough humidity so the cutting doesn't wilt, but not so high that the cutting rots. You need high light- if your light is too low, the cutting just dies. But if your light source is too hot, you'll end up with steamed vegetables.
    So don't be afraid to try several different methods. Aim for high light, low heat, and steady humidity. Don't worry too much about saturating the soil- it just needs to be moist. Also, it may help to tamp the cutting firmly into the soil so there is good contact. And using fresh rooting hormone may help.
    I failed for almost a year until I found the method that balances all of the above factors in my particular climate.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    10 years ago

If you would like to see a rose video that was filmed in m y yard this past July go to utube.com . look for Decatur Roses. I show step by step how to do a cutting. Just so you know the rose I rooted lived and is doing great!