Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting cuttings this late in the season

Posted by sherstripe (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 07 at 9:48

I am getting some cuttings in next week...there's no way that they'll have time to get a good start outdoors in a baggie in filtered light...so...what do I do? thanks for any help you can give me...Lee

Here is a link that might be useful: HIgh Desert Rose Garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting cuttings this late in the season

what zone are you in? i'm in zone 5 and i'm still taking cuttings, putting them in a cold frame type thing in dappled shade, till deep fall,or early winter, when i'll mulch well and walk away!!ashdown's last newsletter, (zone 7,i think), said they'll be taking cuttings right through october...an unheated greenhouse is just a big coldframe, right? as long as they have the humidity somehow, they'll be fine, and if you have a cold winter, mulch well...the little buggers will still grow roots when you're not looking!! good luck, donna

o

We've always done cuttings in the basement under lights. If you have a relatively cool room or garage, that's what I'd suggest. Just plain cool white fluorescent shop lights work well and are cheap. After they root, they can hang there until spring.

I've always, always, always had lousy luck getting rooted cuttings through their first winter outside. It's the reason for the occassionally massive light setup in the basement. At least fluorescents are cheap to run.

o

I'm in warm zone 6 or cold zone 7...I'm going to try starting them both ways and wait and see what happens...Thanks for help from both of you...I do appreciate it...Lee

o

Hi Mad Gallica,
I have three rooted cuttings, still small (10"-12") but growing well, and I was planning to bury them, pot and all, in the garden for the winter. Did you try that and it didn't work? Or do you mean you planted them in the garden and they didn't make it? I do have the fluorescent lights set up in my unheated garage, but would rather keep the cuttings outdoors if possible. Thanks in advance,

Judith

o

• Posted by elks US5, Can6b (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 23, 07 at 6:42

Judith,

I have a friend who does just that down here in London, ON. Another friend bundles all of his rooted cuttings bare-root and hills them in for the winter. I have usually planted them where I plan to grow them and, when finally dormant, pruned them back enough to get a 2 litre pop bottle over them again for winter, cap and all, until spring, when the bottle cap comes off. I'm not sure which method I'll use this autumn, but likely the latter because I have so little time.

Steve.

o

I've started them in the garden from the beginning, and they didn't make it. Neithere here, nor long ago in western Pennsylvania. Since I've had the lights forever for seed starting, it was easiest to just keep the roses under the lights for the winter. We are subject to serious temperature fluctuations that produce major mud seasons throughout the winter - neither of which are good for marginally hardy roses. I have yet to find a form of winter protection that doesn't get waterlogged.

o

• Posted by elks US5, Can6b (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 23, 07 at 17:32

Amazing the difference in a zone! I recently visited a member of our rose society 60 miles away in Sarnia, a half to full zone warmer, and could not believe how much larger her rose grow than here, so I'm not surprised if what I can accomplish with cuttings here do not work in Montreal nor Maine (Is it Kay?).

Steve.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here