Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Dr. Huey slow to root?

Posted by donaldvancouver cool wet z8 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 12 at 10:26

Hello- I have some cuttings of a neighbourhood rose that looks an awful lot like Dr. Huey- almost thornless, nearly-single deep red flower early in season, etc. I am rooting it in hopes of using it as rootstock. It is starting to callus nicely but it has been very slow- at least three weeks to get to the slightly-callused stage. Meanwhile I have a Morden Sunrise that threw down roots in just over two weeks in the same environment.
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Dr. Huey slow to root?

Hi, Donald. Yes, while I find multiflora very easy to propagate, Dr. Huey definitely takes longer to root. Probably you'll need a good rooting hormone to get good success rate from Dr. Huey cuttings. - Hardy

o
RE: Is Dr. Huey slow to root?

Dr. Huey rooted quickly and well for me in June 2011. I just dipped the cuttings in rootone, stuck them in potting soil in styro cups and left them uncovered in a shady spot. 8 of 9 rooted. I thought I had rooted Oklahoma and was mighty disappointed and embarrassed to see that Dr. Huey bloom this spring. I kept two to experiment with as root stock. Just pitched the rest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here