Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
medusa11365_gw

Grow Seeds Anyone?

medusa11365
17 years ago

I've been reading about hybridizing lately (I got the rose bug bad this year). Anyhoo, I'm not up to speed on choosing varieties, diploid and tetraploid whatchamacallits, nor have I ever grown a rose from seed. But I was thinking for fun to try with whatever may come from my roses at the end of the season. Do you all think that would be fun and might see something pretty next year, or do you think I'll get a bunch of 3 petal pygmies that will put me off from trying this ever again?

Comments (13)

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Do IT, do IT, do IT! And take lots of pictures.

I was thinking of saving some mini seeds, if any of them set hips. Who knows what pollen the bees will have dragged in?

:-)

Michelle

• joan_m
    17 years ago

Go ahead and try it! I have number of OP seedlings I like just as much as the ones from crosses I did myself. (OP = open-pollinated, as in the bees did the work.) Most people seem to think that many OP seeds are the result of a self-cross (same seed and pollen parents). This is especially likely on roses whose anthers curl over the stigma as the bloom matures. Still, if youÂve got bees around, who knows what you might get. And itÂs FUN!

• medusa11365
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks alot everyone. I WILL take pics.

• msjam2
    17 years ago

My Chrysler Imperial have 2 huge hips right now, they are yellow and looks like they are about to fall off, I was told to wait until they are red before harvesting them. I wonder what kind of rose I'll get, my CI is grafted.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

msjam2, the grafted part isn't a factor. CI is a hybrid (check out Helpmefind.com for the lineage), and that's why you will get any number of different results from your seedlings.

• weldontx
    17 years ago

Would anyone be interested in trading/sharing hips?? I know that I will have hips from Don Juan. I have 4 new
    plants from seeds planted last fall. One looks to have
    really good potential. Can tell more in a couple of years.

• drippy
    17 years ago

I grew a noisette from seed that a nice trader sent me - at about six inches high, it gave me a little pink bloom - first year! (this year) - I have planted it in the ground, and it must like where it is, because the seedling has doubled in size. Can't wait to see what it does next year!
    I also have a couple of gallica seedlings planted in a holding bed.

I haven't had much luck growing my hybrid seeds to date, but I sent some Marmalade Skies to another trader who has had great luck with them. They didn't reproduce the same color as the original, of course - if I recall correctly, he got a lighter peach color - or maybe it was yellow - LOL, I don't remember right now.

The rugosa I started from seed from Planting Island Beach in winter 04/05 is a good sized bush right now - it will bloom next year, I'm sure. Ditto for the "yellow wild rose", which wants to take over the world - I will probably have to move it - I've already had to cut it back some - but I want to see the blooms first.

• msjam2
    17 years ago

Diane, I went ahead and cut the hip from the plant yesterday because the hip is starting to look wrinkled? and the stem is crispy brown already.

When I opened the hip, there are some yellowish seeds and there are brown ones, are the brown seeds dead? I soaked the seeds in hydrogen peroxide for 4 hours then put them in the moist paper towel then ziplock bag. My fridge has this cheese/meat drawer that's colder than the vegetable drawer, is that okay?

Thanks a lot.
    Msjam

• bellegallica
    17 years ago

I'm trying the same thing. There was a hip on 'Dainty Bess' that was wrinkling and the stem had turned brown, so I cut it off and found four fat seeds inside. Must they be stored in the fridge? For how long?

• dirt_yfingernails
    17 years ago

I don't know how long they're viable, but I have a BUNCH of Rugosa seeds from last year if anyone wants to trade. Please e-mail me.

• greth_gardener
    17 years ago

Ive been doing this for a few years. It is just for fun, I have no intention of taking it seriously, so I have no idea which bushes I swiped the hips from. A walk in a good rose garden leaves me with pockets bulging! I have 85 acres, so plenty of room to let the seedlings grow on and see what I get. They are just starting to flower for this year, so will try and take some photos to share.
    The loveliest bit is being able to name your seedlings - one nice little yellow one bloomed the day my nephew was born, so that is 'Cooper's Rose'. And my brother got married this week, theres a lovely new red one, so that will be his and his lady wife's!

• zionadams
    17 years ago

I have seeds, if you can use them let me know.

Most will be of Cecile Brunner and an un-ID'd grandiflora that got mixed into it. There's also some from an exquisite red rose, no name as of yet.

• ich_bin_nathan
    17 years ago

dirt_yfingernails
    I would love some rugosa seeds, but I really dont have anything to trade. I am in Wisonsin and my Canadian roses and rugosas hips truned brown and fell off early for some reason.
    But I would really like some if you want to give me any!
    my e-mail is
    ich_bin_nathan@hotmail.com

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations