Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandandsun_gw

Aspiring Questions

sandandsun
12 years ago

I was going to hybridize daylilies a couple of decades ago, but then there was ploidy: diploid and tetraploid and all my dreams were star crossed. And I was not going to get into colchicene.

Years of gardening have taught me to plan and research. Otherwise I waste my time, energy, and money - all of which are in increasingly limited supply.

With roses I've seen mention of triploid and tetraploid and I assume there must be diploids.

I've read and understood about petal substance and fragrance, and the difficulty with disease resistance vs. other qualities. But I've found little about my questions in general.

I've also read and understood the concept of "proprietary information." For example, the David Austin folks must have a lot of information, but if they won't share decipherable information on parentage, then we shouldn't expect much from them, should we?

Before I even consider beginning, if possible please help me with answers to these questions:

Is it easy to find the genetic nature of a rose in terms of diploid, triploid, or tetraploid?

Do we know anything firm (or reasonably so) about dominance and recessive traits in terms of

1)Colors

2)Plant Forms (e.g. climbing, heights, arching, bushy, etc.)

3)Fragrance

4)Flower Forms (e.g. cupped, high centered, flat, quartered, etc.)

5)Vigor

6)Remontancy

7)Flower Size

8)Any other category

Thank you in advance!

Comment (1)