Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New roses from rose hips seeds

Posted by debbysunshine san diego (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 07 at 15:55

I never opened a seed pod and usually cut them off to continue blooms here in Ca. I have opened a few hip th find some pretty large seeds and some smaller seeds in others but I want to get them to grow. Please if you've done this explain the kind of growing medium and the best time of year. Than scare me as to how long this might take to get an actual flower if the new plants survive, debbysunshine@hotmail.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New roses from rose hips seeds

I have started roses from seed for the past 3 winters. I gather the hips as soon as they are fully ripe. I take the seed from the hips and plant them immediately. I have had good luck with some and not so good luck with others. I got 40+ plants from seed from one rose last winter. There have been a couple of dozen of the seedlings that have bloomed a couple of times already. I pot them up when they start to bloom. The ones that did not bloom, I tossed. The mother plant of these seedlings is Summer Wind which is a single bright orange. The seedlings range from solid white single to orange double. Seems no two are exactly alike. The rose seed seem to germinate in cool weather. I have never had one to germinate when the weather was hot. I have also had seed to germinate and bloom within a couple of months from 4th of July, Golden showers and some unknown that I did not label. Lots of fun. Go for it....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here