Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose cuttings turning black, please help

Posted by poultryduk 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 13, 09 at 18:20

My rose cuttings are habitually turning black from the top down. I understand that it may be due to over-watering, but they are not turning black from bottom up, as they normally would when experiencing rot. Does anybody have any advice on how to prevent/stop this? Much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose cuttings turning black, please help

I have found this to be the best method to root easily from cuttings. Check out Hartwoodroses.com to see a nearly fool-proof method for propagating roses from cuttings. You can use this method to root anything from cuttings.

o
RE: Rose cuttings turning black, please help

• Posted by jont1 Midwest 5b/6a (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 17, 10 at 1:03

I haven't done it myself yet, but recently I was told by another rosarian that he dips his prepared cuttings in a mild bleach solution being careful not to dip the business end and lets them briefly air dry before sticking them in the rooting hormone and then into the ground. I guess that would kill any lingering bacteria or mold spores on the cutting and reduce the chances for it's growth on the cutting while in those moist settings.
It kind of makes sense and I may try that the next time I do cuttings.
John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here