Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
overdrive_gw

clear success! "Advanced Burrito Modification"

overdrive
11 years ago

Pics to come tomorrow!

A really difficult to root rose, for some reason, Hansa. I have really good luck in past with Winchester Cathedral, and had no idea how tough Hansa was going to be.

#1 - wet medium, no matter how sterile = no good.

#2 - even really porous medium, such as perlite/bark, barely damp = still no good - eventually there is mold everywhere, and everything goes black.

#3 "the secret" (shh.shh.) go back to the old "organic" way - you know how everyone just says they stick it in the ground and it grows? - why is that? - because even though the ground is not sterile, it has a large community of organisms that act together for the common good, which has evolved over millions of years. So the "secret" is no secret: medium = 50%leaf compost mixed with worm castings, to provide plenty of beneficial bacteria that eat the fungal spores, 25% ground hardwood bark (for air), and 25% peat moss, to hold it all together.

5 weeks ago, I stuck the 5th set of cuttings, after 4 dismal failures.

1 week ago, they were looking good, but no active growth, so since it was a slightly rainy day, I put then out in the rain, to give the cuttings full water saturation (pots went from 260 to 330 grams,so 70 grams more of water, for a 3.5" peat pot, is about a quarter cup, to give you the idea. In other words they started off barely wet, and after 4 weeks they got a heavy watering. Now that everything was so wet, , I totally removed the covers (clear plastic lids), because being so wet, it will get mouldy, and with the lids off for 4 days, all the leaves are still perfect. I thought one of the leaves was wilting, so I pulled that one up, and it had full callus along the ENTIRE length of the stem, and a few good roots, so I quickly repotted it. Compared to conventional cuttings, I did about 50/50 Adv-Mod-Burrito with conventional, and AMB did far better. Some of the peat pots actually had 3/3 success (i put 2-3 cuttings per pot).

cheers, and have a nice day - still not to late to take more cuttings, so I am going to do another two trays later this week! - paul m.

Comments (4)