Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

clear success! "Advanced Burrito Modification"

Posted by overdrive (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 19:35

Pics to come tomorrow!
A really difficult to root rose, for some reason, Hansa. I have really good luck in past with Winchester Cathedral, and had no idea how tough Hansa was going to be.
#1 - wet medium, no matter how sterile = no good.
#2 - even really porous medium, such as perlite/bark, barely damp = still no good - eventually there is mold everywhere, and everything goes black.
#3 "the secret" (shh.shh.) go back to the old "organic" way - you know how everyone just says they stick it in the ground and it grows? - why is that? - because even though the ground is not sterile, it has a large community of organisms that act together for the common good, which has evolved over millions of years. So the "secret" is no secret: medium = 50%leaf compost mixed with worm castings, to provide plenty of beneficial bacteria that eat the fungal spores, 25% ground hardwood bark (for air), and 25% peat moss, to hold it all together.
5 weeks ago, I stuck the 5th set of cuttings, after 4 dismal failures.
1 week ago, they were looking good, but no active growth, so since it was a slightly rainy day, I put then out in the rain, to give the cuttings full water saturation (pots went from 260 to 330 grams,so 70 grams more of water, for a 3.5" peat pot, is about a quarter cup, to give you the idea. In other words they started off barely wet, and after 4 weeks they got a heavy watering. Now that everything was so wet, , I totally removed the covers (clear plastic lids), because being so wet, it will get mouldy, and with the lids off for 4 days, all the leaves are still perfect. I thought one of the leaves was wilting, so I pulled that one up, and it had full callus along the ENTIRE length of the stem, and a few good roots, so I quickly repotted it. Compared to conventional cuttings, I did about 50/50 Adv-Mod-Burrito with conventional, and AMB did far better. Some of the peat pots actually had 3/3 success (i put 2-3 cuttings per pot).
cheers, and have a nice day - still not to late to take more cuttings, so I am going to do another two trays later this week! - paul m.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: clear success! "Advanced Burrito Modification"

For some reason I always had success with Hansa. But that may have been because I did what you suggested, just stuck the cuttings in the ground. Here they are in a raised bed where I stuck the cuttings after I pruned. This is after 2 years growth. It was experiment I tried that worked. I have since given them all away. Should have kept one because something killed my Hansa years later.


RE: clear success! "Advanced Burrito Modification"

My very first rose cutting was rooted this way. I didn't know any better at the time. It was a Medallion which at the time I called Drooping Beauty because I didn't know the name and when I first saw it, the long canes bent down with the large flowers almost touching the ground. This year I was trying to root a Felecia and failing and the plant made it's own copy where it touched down on the soil. I am so glad because my old Felecia is a thick old one cane special these days. The new one is so thin and flexible and I'm thinking of just letting it grow where it rooted.

RE: clear success! "Advanced Burrito Modification"

roots are coming out of the bottom of the peat-pots, so I moved them to larger plastic pots. they are now under continuous overdriven fluorescent, with lamps at 5" from the canopy. There are a few new shoots sprouting, and once they all sprout, I'll move them to almost touch the lamps.

RE: clear success! "Advanced Burrito Modification"

Link to pictures, they are really doing well. I have set up another 2 dozen leaf-bud cuttings, and we are into fall at the moment, so I am going to experiment with cold temperature rooting - 50 degrees F, and see what happens. The reason to do this, is the rose foliage tends to go yellow and fall off if held at 70 degrees - this must be due to some kind of fungus, so I would like to inhibit the fungus by keeping the temperature down, and the garage right now gives me temp in the 48 - 52 F degree range.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of the Leaf-Bud rose cuttings, sending up canes!

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here