Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookbaglady

Cutting from wild yellow rose

bookbaglady
15 years ago

I took some suckers along with plenty of roots and soil from great grandmas wild yellow rose. My daughter transplanted it in Denver.

She said the leaves have all dried up, it has been well watered, I wonder if this is just because it is fall and it will come up next Spring or we will have to do this again.

When I started mine this was the way I did it. Does anyone know a better way to start a wild rose and do you think it will start leafing out in the Spring.

I was told they are very hearty.

Comments (4)

• ptgrose
    15 years ago

The end of summer is not the best time to be taking suckers. I learned this the hard way. Even though you think you got plenty of roots there probably wasn't enough of the fine root hairs that actually take in water. So there was too much top growth for the roots to support and that is why the leaves dried up. What you don't want, is for it to send out new growth now. It should be winding down and getting ready for winter.

I've had much better luck moving plants or taking suckers in the fall when the plant was starting to go dormant. Or in the spring before growth starts. It's usually not a good idea to do after the plant buds out either.

I would put some mulch around it and keep it watered and hopefully it'll send up new growth in the spring.

• bookbaglady
    Original Author
    15 years ago

She said there are two new green leaves on it near the base, according to your post that is not a good sign but at this point it is alive. I think wild roses are pretty tough so hopefully it will make it through a Colorado winter.
    What are all these auful popups on this site? It was better before I Village came along,

• ptgrose
    15 years ago

It may not be as dire as I made it out earlier. Being that you transplanted so early, the roots actually will have time to get somewhat established. So even if it does put out some top growth that doesn't make thru the winter, the roots probably will survive.

Grandma's wild yellow rose most likely is Harison's Yellow aka The Yellow Rose of Texas. It isn't technally a wild rose but a near species cultivar that was spread across the country with the early settlers. It is a tough plant, but it is one that I managed to kill by moving at the wrong time.

• bookbaglady
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for the ID of the yellow rose, it came from Canon City,CO.., and then to Nebraska, now part of it is back in Littleton,Co. It is good to know what we have and I really appreciate it.
    Sounds like it will now be a waiting game until the spring. It blooms here only once around Memorial Day in May.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES