Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_moose

Rose cutting propagating list

I am wondering if anyone has compiled a list of roses - types, cultivar names, etc. - that can be easily propagated by cuttings to those that are hard to downright impossible. I'm would like to use said list as a reference for future attempts at doing cuttings.

Comments (7)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh, Joe, I think that might be the $64,000.00 question, lol! There are so many variables in how each person does it I don't think you could really come up with a list.

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

Good idea, but I think you might classify the results by region.

In my area, most Chinas & Teas are very easy. Many polys, Noisettes & HMs, too. "Caldwell Pink" aka Pink Pet will root from trimmings thrown on the ground.
    But strangely, Mutabilis is difficult.

For me, modern roses, species & some of the old HPs are very difficult.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Both responses are right on. Many will root like weeds one year, then refuse to root at all the next. Some will root like mad all the time, no matter what you do to/for them, others refuse to root or develop roots but nothing sufficiently vigorous enough to maintain a healthy, vital bush. Those are generally the weaker growers even budded, but some do just fine budded and aren't decent own root. Henry Fonda is one of those. J&P announced years ago Henry would come out on their Next Generation Roses, the own root plants, then had to back track when they found it was a dud own root. Not that you couldn't BUY it own root from some sources. Just because you CAN root something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

As bluegirl stated, she can root some types right down the line, while others give her problems. In my California climate, I've often found the reverse of her experience with many moderns being easier and faster to root for me than the Chinas and Teas. That's where budding comes in handy. When you hit one which refuses to cooperate, you just pop a few buds under the bark of a suitable stock and generate more material for you to play with. Suitable stocks are often available as cuttings from a number of sources and are very often some of the easiest roses to root there are. Otherwise, they wouldn't have been suitable for root stock in the first place.

When I was volunteering at The Huntington Library, I could root Mermaid virtually any warm month of the year in the mist propagator. Yet and established nurseryman of the time in San Jose, CA stated he could only root it in September in his climate and conditions. When I lived in the Santa Clarita Valley, just north of the San Fernando Valley where I know live, I could root most roses in a few weeks under plastic on my north facing balcony. In the milder, more humid climate in which I now live, I can't root roses under plastic at all. Here, the most successful method for rooting is the "Burrito Method" I've detailed on my blog. Roses put up as cuttings using any other method are most often failures in this climate, yet I can root Hibiscus sinensis almost year round simply by preparing the cuttings as I do rose cuttings, potting them in moisture control soil and watering them like I'm trying to drown them. I get nearly 100% take on the hibs. No matter what I've done to the roses tried similarly, I get nearly 100% failure.

Now, stocks (Pink Clouds, IXL, Cardinal Hume so far) root extremely easily using the Burrito Method for me. I grow them on in pots and once the sap begins to flow, as evidenced by their pushing lots of new growth, I can begin Chip Budding them with almost 100% success. I will propagate them as cuttings this winter using the Burrito Method for own root plants, but I'm also going to keep budding things until then. It's a lot easier to build your collection with more tools in your chest. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Pushing The Rose Envelope

• Ruddyn
    9 years ago

Somehow I m using the simplest n conventional method i.e I planted the cutting by using potting media ( peat moss). I m lucky, the new plants still grow n flower. Wuthin 3 months the flowers bloom..Most important to me is that the peat moss must always be watered

• Ruddyn
    9 years ago

Somehow I m using the simplest n conventional method i.e I planted the cutting by using potting media ( peat moss). I m lucky, the new plants still grow n flower. Wuthin 3 months the flowers bloom..Most important to me is that the peat moss must always be watered

• Ruddyn
    9 years ago

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I tired to start such a list last year and if you have info to add, check a couple of pages back.

Just to show how methods and less than a 100 miles makes a difference. I think I got one or two of the IXL's from Kim to root. On the other hand only one Pink Clouds failed to root.

I have had good luck with Belinda's Dream and Gruss an Aachen and once the heat wave is over, I plan on starting a bunch of them and Don Juan for mom to give to her friends.

I still need to set up a mist box, but first I need work to give me a break :)