Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbdeajr

Rhizopon AA#3

cbdeajr
15 years ago

Does anyone know of a online store where I can purchase Rhizopon AA#3 rooting power?

Comments (7)

• cbdeajr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did do a search. I e-mail the company and found out the smallest unit they sell is a 1 lb. can. That amount would supply me for more years than I will be here. I was hoping to find a repackage dealer those sale smaller units.

• chefcdp
    15 years ago

I have read the reports that found that the stronger hormone concentrations in the powdered preparations gave better rooting percentages. However,in my personal experience, the stronger concentrations were more likely to burn the cutting than the lower concentrations and result in a rooting failure.

I am not doubting the published reports, Just saying what happened to me. I purchased the no. 1 and no. 3 powders and used a 50-50 mix of one and three so I could test all three levels of hormone concentration.

I got the best rooting from the no. 1 powder and that was no better than the rooting performance of the powders such as Rootone and Shultz's that you can buy at the box stores and garden centers.

The problem with all of the powders is that it is very easy to get too much on the cutting and very difficult to get excess off because of the way the powders tend to clump and stick to the cutting.

The method I finally used was to put a small amount of rooting powder in a plastic bag and put the end of the cutting into the bag, but not into the powder. Then I would shake the bag so that the end of the cutting was in a cloud or fog of hormone powder, but not directly in the stuff.

I have since turned to the liquid rooting compounds such as Dip-N-Grow. The liquid is much easier to use and I have not had problems with burning the ends of cuttings. I get very good rooting on most roses with the liquid product.

Most roses are fairly easy to root and many cuttings root just fine without any rooting hormone. If you do have cuttings that are difficult to root, the liquid allows you to mix up a batch of stronger hormone concentration without having to stock several levels of strength in the powdered versions.

Some years ago when I looked, I was also unable to find small quantities of the Rhizopon powders and had to buy larger sizes than I wanted. At the time there were some smaller quantities of hormone powder in different strengths available under a private label from at least one of the green house product vendors. I haven't looked in recent years.

Good luck,

Charles

• cbdeajr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your help.
    Cecil

• cannabisgrower
    15 years ago

I also use the rooting gel, and not a powder, and I get about 60% of my cuttings to root. The secret is not in the powder, because I don't even use powder - the secret has more to do with having a medium damp but not soggy, preparing the cuttings properly, and looking after them properly.

• garystpaul
    15 years ago

Also try this: make the cut, dip the cutting in water, squeeze/dry it gently with a paper towel, stick in rooting hormone, then into medium. GaryStPaul

• carche
    15 years ago

Hi!
    I am from Macedonia. Can somebody help me with the searching for a store in the Balkan that might be selling rhyzopon?