Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
george_mander

Problems with rooting? Check this out !

george_mander
16 years ago

Own Root Cuttings Setup Gallery with detailed comments and info for each of the 30 images.

Here a comment by Ram Shoor :

"Brilliantly illustrated. Best illustration seen on the web"

Go my Gallery page and you will find it half way down.

Good luck George Mander

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses of Excellence

Comments (7)

• thelwig55
    16 years ago

Hi George, I have read your cuttings from cutting several time. I have some purchased rooted cuttings in the basement under shop lights and want to take cuttings, stems are 5 to six inches but no buds yet, so I need to wait for a but to do some cutting form the stem, they a mini's.

• george_mander
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi thelwig,
    It's BETTER to wait until you see buds.
    As you see on my first 2 images you can take cuttings at that stage.
    Sincerely,
    George Mander

Here is a link that might be useful: Own Root Cuttings Setup Gallery

• object16
    16 years ago

Very nice site, and appreciated by all. I've read it over many times, and I got 72 rooted cutting of mainly Fair Bianca, lovely DA rose, nice compact plant, ideal for raising indoors over the winter. Although I only got 40% success rate, my cuttings were all short, just one basal bud, and one apical leaf/bud, so I was able to maximize the number of cuttings from the available stock, and made up for the low success rate that way. Also, my cuttings were taked just before snowfall, so I used up canes that would otherwise just end up as winterkill. Even though a lot of leaves fell off probably due to fungus, the stem still had enough carbohydrates to start roots going, and right now they have been transplanted into 6x6" square pots and they're mainly 9 to 10 inches tall. I'll be ready to take cuttings from cuttings in about 4 weeks. Now I have to figure out what to do with all those bushes.
    I didn't use any wounding of the stem, except for breaking off the prickles, and I cut straight across the base just below the basal bud. My examination during the repotting shows a very good circumferential growth of roots which branched and permeated the medium extremely well.
    Thanks George, ur help is greatly appreciated.
    Paul Mozarowski.

• gulabmali
    16 years ago

Thank you George for the step-by-step photo manual on rose propagation. My climbing rose cuttings have new leaves in less than 10 days.
    The Holly cuttings still have to show signs of successful rooting, but with the rose cuttings the results have been stupendous! I think I've had 100% success and that too for a new gardener like me, the credit goes to you and all the support from GW members. It has been a great source of information.

Thanks again!

I am now keeping my fingers crossed for each to survive and grow into an independent climber, they are just 17days old

• debbysunshine
    16 years ago

George, hopefully all is well and you're getting ready for a great spring. Just wanted you to try some Vodka in a rose or two. WOW is the word in this situation because the health and extreme color and quality of the petals is amazing. There are many sites about Vodka and roses. My cuttings are flourishing much faster this year in the water with just a bit of the cheapest Vodka and I haven't as yet experienced damping from all this rain just some rust which I hopefylly can keep under control.

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    16 years ago

You water the cuttings with Vodka?

• george_mander
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Florida,
    I trink the Vodka !
    My cuttings get water only when started.
    Then, one week after transplaning 1/4 strengh fertilizer.
    After 2 to 3 weeks 1/2 strengh fertilizer.
    Go to my Articles page on my web-site and then click on :
    "Cuttings from Cuttings, from Cuttings..." relates my experience in making cuttings - the primitive way. Link to my site below.
    George Mander

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses of Excellence

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio