Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canadien rose

Posted by sowandgrow none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 6:39

You had answered my post on growing roses in pots earlier this spring. I followed your instructions to the letter, and I am happy to report they did wonderful. It is my first season growing roses, what a joy to look out my living room window and see the beautiful blooms. What I am wondering now is how soon are you bringing your pots into the garage? We are in the same zone.
I also have a bunch of cuttings rooted, I can tell already this is turning into an obsession that is going to get out of control. Thanks to all for your expert advise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canadien rose

Oh, I'm glad your summer was a rosy delight!! :)

I'm leaving my roses outside until the temperature is expected to get to to -4 over night. If it's just one or two nights, then I cover them at night and leave them outside.

The rooted cuttings, I'm already bringing in at night and taking them out in the day. We've been getting - 1 and -2 overnight. I'm thinking that's too cold for the "babies." :)

Do you know how to overwinter roses?
Carol

o

Oops - just wanted to let you know that those are Celsius temperatures. :)

o

Wow! I was thinking you have some hardy roses there. Just kidding, I live 6 miles from the Canadien border so I am used to Celsius. Yes I had read your post on overwintering pots which is what inspired me start growing them in pots. It seemed like the roses I really loved were all at least zone 5 so I was excited to read your post. I see you are into rooting cuttings also, you don't leave those in the garage too do you? If so, how big are they? I have mine under lights in the basement but they are barely rooted. Thanks for your help

o

Well, my rose cuttings are in those plastic red solo cups (white inside). I've never tried to root before. They all took. I didn't have any rooting powder, so I dunked the end in honey. Since I've never rooted anything before, I'm not exactly sure they'll survive.
But I'm going to plant the cups all in one big pot - completely covered with dirt. Then, I'll water a bit more often - maybe twice a month - depending upon how much the soil dries out. I'll obviously, also cover them with blankets etc.
Good luck to us both!!
Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here