Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting Rose Hips Today :)

Posted by sunandshadow 6 PA (sunandshadow@excite.com) on
Mon, Oct 4, 10 at 8:46

The rose hips on my Don Juan have been bright orange for about a week and are starting to get soft, so it's time to harvest the seeds. The Golden Showers made a few hips too, but they're small so I won't be sure they actually have any seeds in them until I open them.

My rose seeds will be available to trade for other rose seeds (doubles only please) so if anyone else has fresh seeds or ones that will be ripe soon and wants to trade, let me know. :) If I have seeds left over after trading, I'll consider trading the remaining ones for non-rose seeds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting Rose Hips Today :)

I ended up with 7 packets of seeds available to trade (packet is 15-20 seeds) so post here to claim one! :)

o

I just picked 2 orange hips off my Easy Does It tonight, what do I do with them now? This is my first time to do this. I have started plenty of roses from a stem and have 3 adult rose bushes in my yard from them, so please help. I saw your beautiful Purple baby, you did really good.

o

If you don't get any takers, I would really love some rose seeds. I have hollyhocks for trade?!

Randi

o

I'm collecting seeds for the first time - so excited! I have a bunch of hips on Aunt Honey and quite a few on Molineux. I also found a few really rich red hips on Maiden's Blush that were actually getting mushy. I collected 2 of those. I couldn't resist tasting the rosehip from Maiden's blush & it was actually quite sweet - I can see why they make rose hip jam. I'm just taking the simplest route and wrapping the seeds in a moist paper towel & placing in marked plastic bags. Hopefully in a few months they will begin to root. I am really hoping Jude the Obscure will form some hips as I would like to see seedlings from that plant. I am also leaving a few hips on the plants & see if any overwinter & I will try planting those seeds in the Spring to see if they germinate. Has anyone tried this in zone 6-7?

o

I have, and I think it would be better to plant them indoors and then plant outdoors later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here