Roots

{{gwi:1243806}}

Small light setup for the rooted cuttings

{{gwi:1243808}}

Thank you

Comments (11)

• generator_00
    15 years ago

Hi, How does the setup work? Is the temp reliable with that controller or do you have to babysit it? What are you using for rooting medium? If I could come up with a reliable method of propagation I would try it again but haven't had any luck so far. Did you order the seedling heat mat online? If so who is a reliable supplier of those products? Thanks

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

It looks good, except:

is the heat mat doing any good? I've never used one for rooting cuttings, and usually put the seedlings on top of the fluorescent ballasts. Given that there is a space, and the bottom of a plastic bin, between the mat and the cuttings, I'd be surprised if it accomplished anything.

Also, when the rooted cuttings come out, the top of the leaves should be very, very close to the fluorescent bulbs. As in less than 2 inches. The lights aren't bright enough to waste wattage spilling it all over the place. Since it doesn't look like it will be easy with that setup to lower the lights, plan on raising the plants. Inverted pots, telephone books - anything that's the right size can be used. Then when they grow, move everything around so it fits again.

• generator_00
    15 years ago

I think the heat mat is heating the water in the bottom of the bin but that probably does cause the temp inside the bin to be pretty uniform (but humid) rather than heating the roots.

• mgleason56
    15 years ago

The heat mat heats the water on the bottom causing the humidity needed for the cuttings. I've been using the same setup for years, except I use different pots like this;
    {{gwi:312909}}

If you can tell, I am using coir as my rooting medium.

• ramblinrosez7b
    15 years ago

That looks like a pretty good setup, do you get a good percentage of them to root? That heating mat looks like a great way to get a good buildup of humidity in with the cuttings. How long do you keep the lights on? I think I may try this. Thanks so much for sharing your photos with us, they are great! ;)

• markiz37
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Generator00, the temperature is very reliable with this thermostat. For rooting medium I also use coconut coir [ bought on eBay-5kg ] or seed starter mix. Heat mat and thermostat were ordered online 2 years ago, paid 40$ for the set but don't remember the supplier, sorry. You can also look on eBay.
    Mad gallica, I didn't find an absolutely flat dish pan and my husband cut roofing shingles that fill the space. I have 3 fluroscent light fixtures hanging on long chains, I can always lower or raise them. On my last photo of the middle part of the shelf, you can adjust it to any hieght you need or use books or something else.
    Jenie, I have over 90% success. I keep the lights on for 16 hours a day.
    My only problems are: when I take rooted cuttings out the pan
    1. aphids
    2. powdery mildew
    I have no water in my basement and can't clean the foliage often. Milk, baking soda, wilt pruf help only for3-4 days. This year I'll try to put in a dehumigifier and see if it helps.
    Florist rose Gelato that I rooted last year

Lana

• ramblinrosez7b
    15 years ago

Thanks Lana, 90% success is great! Again thanks for sharing your setup photos with us.

• mgleason56
    15 years ago

OOOH, I like Gelato!

• hartwood
    15 years ago

Mike, where do you get the clear pots? Those are great.

Connie

• mgleason56
    15 years ago

Connie,
    See the link here. Good people...

Here is a link that might be useful: Clear Pots

• hartwood
    15 years ago

Thanks!

Connie

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture