Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kachana_gw

Rooting semi-hardwood cuttings without leaves

Kachana
9 years ago

Hi,

I received these mostly semi-hardwood rose cuttings from my Mom yesterday. They're about 6-9 inch long, no leaves whatsoever. I'm hoping to get advice on what you think of what I have done. Here are some facts:

1. In our area, it's still mild: sunny 70-80Fdays, and 55-60F nights. I believe we probably still have this weather pattern for at least 4 more weeks.
2. Inside the house, we keep it about 78-80F all day
3. I do not know what these roses are, only that they have grown in my Mom's Seattle home for at least 25 years.
4. Two weeks ago, I received a soft wood cutting (with leaves and flower bud) from another GWer, and tried to root it in a clear plastic cup covered with plastic bag, sit next to south-facing window. It is now starting to root.
5. I think these are more hardwood than semi-hardwood based on size.

I've read some suggestions on this forum, and decided to use roseseek's burrito/newspaper wrap method for some, and the rest are as shown in the picture below:

Do you think the water bottle is too small for this method? I thought since they don't have leaves, this small water bottle will do (the cutting sits in a mixture of Micacle Grow potting soil and perlite (50/50)). These bottles sit in the house, getting some morning filtered sunlight.

So with all those facts, do you think I should change/redo anything? Should I try some other methods? And oh, I did use rooting hormones.

Thanks,

Kachana

Comments (2)