Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queen_gardener

Some Names - Orange

queen_gardener
9 years ago

I've seen some orange roses in my neighborhood, wondering if anyone can supply me with some possible names, we don't have to be too exact as I didn't take pics. I just love the look of these really hot, bright orange roses. Not climbers. Probably something really common, like something you could easily get - nursery, Walmart, Lowes, etc. These roses are less than 10 years old. I'm in OH, zone 5. Just looking for some possible names, thanks! If I have room, I might try to acquire one . . . !

Comments (12)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

Can you provide more details? Form of the flower (do they look like florist roses, or are they fluffy)? Form of the plant (tall and upright or fuller)? Any fragrance? There are hundreds. Narrowing down the characteristics can help.

Or, you can do a search on helpmefind.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Search at helpmefind.com

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, they were fuller than not, but we're talking about roses two different neighbors planted by the side of their houses and next to forgot them, so they're not spectacular looking, and I saw one up close, the other from a distance, but both were hot orange in color. Like I said, I'm in OH, zone 5, they're less than 10 years old guaranteed, probably extremely easy to buy at some store or nursery. The bushes looked a lot like my Knockout, they weren't climbers. Can't tell you about fragrance.

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    9 years ago

I don't think this is the rose you're admiring, but it is a vibrant orange so it might be worth looking into:

http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.37029

Its name is Sunrise at Heirloom and it really is as bright as the pictures show! It did get blackspot here after a hot and humid summer, but it was one of my last roses to get it and all summer it kept putting out blooms in flushes all over the bush with almost no care from me. Unfortunately you can only get these from Heirloom Roses, but it is a great nursery if you decide you want to try it.

Good luck finding your mistery rose!

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, I just can't believe there could be that many hot orange roses. I was hoping for some orange rose names, hot orange or not. That's one!
    Any one know any others . . . ?

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Easy Does It comes to mind right away. It's a bright orange with quite a few petals and should be available all over.

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm adding these names to my Want list! :-)

• hcarnevale
    9 years ago

Check out Livin Easy and Vavoom too.

• Kachana
    9 years ago

Also check out Charisma. Here are some pictures of my Charisma:

Actual flowers are bright orange.

• queen_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so, so much for all these names!!! I actually saw it in another neighborhood - it HAS to be the same one. So it must be something people got at good ol' Wally World. Something really common-ish. But I like it, not EVERYONE has it . . . I like that it's orange!!!

• john_ca
    9 years ago

When I think of hot orange-colored roses, the first one that comes to mind is Tropicana. This one has been available in beloved "body bags" in WalMart and similar stores for at least the last 3-4 decades. See if the photos in the following link look like the rose that you are seeing:

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.6073&tab=1

This rose was bred in Germany and released in 1960. It was sold as "Super Star" in some of the European countries. It was considered a break-through rose for its color. It is said to have a raspberry fragrance and is susceptible to powdery mildew. If this is the right one, you should have no trouble finding it when bare root roses are available in your area.

• luxrosa
    9 years ago

orangeade and gingersnap are commonly seen. hortico.com sold 'Orange ruffels' (not a misspelling) and may still do so. It is quite floriferous and re-blooms quickly.
    photos are at helpmefind.com/roses under search and plant.

Lux.

• lala_e
    9 years ago

I'm growing a hot orange rose called "Las Vegas" for the first time. It's a full looking hybrid tea with firm petals and a scent. The picture on the link is of the first bud on my plant, which shows a true representation of the colour. If you click to see more pictures of it on HMF, you'll see I've uploaded the opened flower as well, but the pics there appear a bit more pink/coral than the true orange they are in real life. It was introduced in 1982.

Another orange rose I have is Hanneli Rupert, from 1992 I think. She's not solid orange though. She has some yellow and pink shading that changes everyday with the heat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange rose - Las Vegas

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer