Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Color from rose hip seeds

Posted by cherrykist Z-7 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 07 at 16:44

I just read an article that says if you plant seeds from rose that you let nature pollinate chances are most of the plants will be pink wild roses like their ancestors? Is this true? If it is then I won't bother trying to germinate the ones I just took from Chuckles.

Thanks Tammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Color from rose hip seeds

Not quite true...

Roses are hybrids so the seeds from Chuckles can take on the traits of any of it's ancestors. Some may look like Chuckles, while others may be more like Jean Lafitte, New Dawn or Orange Triumph (The parents of Chuckles).

Seedling roses are best thought of as people, or at least that is how I explain it to friends, even though they have the same parents they may resemble anyone else in the family, and no two are alike...not sure roses can have identical twins!

I hope that helps a bit, and I am sure others will pop in and help out also.

o
RE: Color from rose hip seeds

The writer of that article didn't know what they were talking about. Germinate the seeds and see what you get. You probably will get some pink seedlings, but they won't be "wild roses". That's nonsense.

Mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here