Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first rose cutting is doing well :)

Posted by joeyb319 none (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 19:28

Took a single cutting from an old rose bush at my childhood home. Decided to try it after having a dream a few nights before that this was a good idea so I went along with it. Walked past the old house a few weeks ago and the rose bush had been removed after being there probably about 50 years. Good job the cutting is doing well then I suppose. Only problem is now I'm not sure what to do for the winter. Do I continue to keep indoors or move outside?

http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/jmabarker/library/

This post was edited by joeyb319 on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 19:34

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first rose cutting is doing well :)

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 18:15

Well it looks very good and I'm surprised it's doing so well indoors. Roses do not like to be inside. You don't say where you live so I can't offer much help on wintering it without knowing that.

o

Hi Joey: I looked at the link you provided. Your rooting looks great on the window sill. Someone told me that the guy who bred Sheila's Perfume rose kept his pot indoor.

Plants like stable temperature: Either keep them dormant completely like in a dark unheated garage (water once or twice a month), or keep them indoor if your house is always warm & watered frequently.

When I lived in a townhome, my roommate had 20+ houseplants, but kept the temp. hot above 70, even at night. The plants in the humid bathroom thrived the most. But in my present house, where it's freezing at night, and hot during the day (many windows) ... plants don't do well when the air is dry and with temp. fluctuations.

My neighbor keeps a red geranium blooming constantly on her window-sill through zone 5a winter. Her secret: she mists it everyday with a bottle of water. She also keeps her house warm, even at night.

o

HELP I have tons of rooted roses in a big plastic been and it's cold out now and I don't know what to do with them now

o

I have kept roses in a windowsill over winter, and in my experience the trick is to give them as much light as possible, and keep an eye out for spider mites. If there is a single spider mite within a five-mile radius, it will find its way onto that rose. You might even spray with soap solution weekly as a preventative measure.
Prune as often as you need to, to keep them from getting straggly. A windowsill environment in winter is not nearly as much light as a rose would like, but it will keep them alive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here