Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to start rose shoots dug from root in Oct. in Oh.

Posted by lindarenee a5 Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 19:42

I received two small rose plants that were coming up from an old spreading rose today. I have dug roses growing like this from around my Therese Bugnet in the Spring and planted them with good success but these are small with very little root and its October. I would like to see them make it. The lady who gave them to me just took a small pair of pruners and dug around them a little bit and cut them off the root as far as she could reach.
One shoot has a piece of brown root extending vertically about 6 inches from the stem. The other one has about 1 inch of pink stem followed by 1 inch of brown root stem which is connected to a horizontal piece of root stem about 3 inches long. There are no hairs on the roots. Can I keep them in the house for winter? Thanks! BTW the lady who gave them to me thinks they are St. Nicholas, an old type rose probably a Damask.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to start rose shoots dug from root in Oct. in Oh.

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 18:12

They may be better off planted in the ground than in the house. Roses hate being inside and will likely die. The other thing you could do is pot them and then sink those pots in the ground deeply in the most protected place in your yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here