Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grow light

Posted by sunnishine 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 23, 08 at 20:18

I have a 48 inch shoplight I am going to use as a shoplight. How far should I mount it away from my roses? I have cuttings and bands I want to put under it.

TIA
Sunni

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grow light

Seedlings need to have their topmost leaves as close as possible (like one inch or less) to fluorescent bulbs. This is probably also true for growing cuttings/bands.

o

Yes, pretty much as close as possible. Remember this can work in two directions. The light can go up and down, but so can the plants.

o

Sunni, go ahead and put the light as close to the cuttings as you can. If you're using the milk-jug-and-soda-bottle method that's on my web site, put the light right at the top of the bottles.

Connie

o

Hi everyone, I have just a few questions.
How many hours do all of you keep your lights on both cuttings and seedlings? And do any of you have trouble with spider mites?
Also what is the temperature in the room you have your cuttings and seedlings in?
Thanks

o

Lights are on for about 16 hours.

Spider mites have been a problem on occasion. Pyrethrum based indoor plant spray has usually taken care of them. I've also been known to throw them outside when the temperatures are around freezing and it's snow/rain-ing. Spider mites positively hate snow.

The basement tends to be below 65F, but it can vary depending on how cold it is outside. There isn't any official heat or a thermostat down there.

o

Thanks everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here