Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shanti33k

Growing Roses from Cutting

Sean
12 years ago

Hi All,

I went to a friends house today and asked for some cuttings of their beautiful roses. I got about 5 of them, so i came home, cut the bottom in a 45 degree angle, dipped it in water, then in rooting hormone, then i put it in pots. The only thing i am unsure about is, i cut all of the leaves off!!!!

Did i make a mistake?

Thanks!

-Sean

Comments (18)

• rosynut
    12 years ago

Yes I would have left the two top sets of leaves on. If they dont "take" try this next time:

Make a slight "wound" in the stem of the about 8cm cuttings by removing the bark on on one side to about 2cm, dip in rooting hormone and plant in a mixture of river sand and peat moss, damp but not too wet. Plant firmly in a small plastic garden pot, place pot in a freezer bag, put a small stick or two next to the cuttings, and close the bag with a elastic band. Place in dappled shade. Direct sun will cook the cuttings. Leave for about 10 days, check that it does not become too dry, and dribble water onto the soil if the cuttings looks dry and unhappy. 3 weeks later you should see roots coming out of the bottom of the little pot. Now you can transplant it into bigger pots with compost, taking care not to disturb the roots. Place a 2 litre cut in half cool drink bottle over the cuttings and water well. Leave in the shade until the plants are used to the outdoors.
    Cuttings from stems that had just finished flowering works well. GOOD LUCK

See more posts on rooting cuttings elsewhere on this forum

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Don't despair, they may root anyway leaves or no. I've done it both ways. I think with leaves does work a little better but have had the bare sticks take too.

There are many ways to do it and Rosynut's is a good method. I don't bag mine though. I keep them outside in a warm place but not too much direct sun that can burn the cane. And be patient. It may take several weeks before you see any signs of growth. As long as the stems stay green and don't shrivel they're still viable. When I do mine now I put them in clear plastic cups (poke a hole in the bottom for drainage) in just regular potting soil so I can see when there is root development without disturbing the plant. Once I see roots on the sides of the cups I transplant the whole thing, soil and all, to a one gallon pot. That way I don't have to disturb those tender new roots at all.

And you'll see on that forum that there are many othe ways to do it too. It's fun, enjoy!

• Sean
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think the clear plastic cup is a great idea! Is it bad if i go ahead, take the sticks out, wash off the hormone, re-dip it in hormone and plant them in clear plastic cups? Or should i just leave it?

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    12 years ago

I have been rooting cuttings for years. My system: I take the cutting, remove the bloom, strip off the bottom two sets of leaves.Then I take a utility knife and split the stem just below the budeye. Then I use Dip in Grow by placing the prepared cutting in it to soak for a hour. Now I put the cutting directly in the ground in a shady area. I use a dibble stick to poke holes in the ground and place the cutting in till it touches the bottom set of leaves I press the soil around the stem. I then take a plastic jug that I get from a Deli. I cut the bottom off, the top has a removable top on it. I label the jug with the name of the rose and the date started with a grease pencil. I then put the jug over the top of the rose. I take the top off and fill the jar with water and put the lid back on. I water every two weeks. With my system I have 98 percent success rate. I do not sell any roses I start. I have some varieties I have that are no longer available like Carla-Ht OP, Natali MP-flb and Red Planet DR-HT just to name a few.

• Sean
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got the Dip N Grow! Recut the bottoms of my cuttings, stripped it of the green bark. I made a mixture of 40% perlite, 40% miracle grow seed starting soil (thats what i had left) and i put 20% of my clay soil from the backyard. i placed the cuttings in clear plastic cups, and made holes on the bottom, and the left over root hormone mix i made i put a little in each cup after i had stuck cutting in the hole (hopefully it will penetrate to the bottom).

Did i do okay? Do i have to cover the plants with a plastic bag?

Thanks!

-Sean

• burz
    12 years ago

http://www.northernlightshydro.net/How-to-videos.html

I have much success using both of these methods. I have better results using smaller clippings. Lately I've tried using bigger cuttings because I'm very impatient. Usually i prefer the red new growth because they seem to root quickly(usually 7-14 days) and are less prone to fungus and problematic critters(for me anyway). I hope these links are of help. I'm still somewhat new to this as well. Good luck.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Those are very long cuttings. You could actually cut those in half and try for more. And fill the cups to the top with soil if you can. Keep them uniformly moist but not soaking wet and never let them dry out completely. There's never any guarantee but worth trying.

• Sean
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i took the cuttings about 2 weeks ago. Is that okay?

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

They should be fine. Just be patient. Rooting takes some time.

• Monyet
    12 years ago

I am new to propagating roses. I have try chipbudding with decent succes, but have not try rooting indoors. I have a workshop(my stained glass studio) that is heated as part of the rest of the house,normally 68 degrees.
    Will rootcutting be possible? There are many light fixtures.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Light won't be the problem. Humidity will be. Roses need a ton of humidity to grow. If you can get some kind of misting system that would be best. Otherwise try putting them on a large pan with about an inch of pebbles in the bottom with water about half way up the pebbles. You don't want the pots to be touching the water. That should bring the humidity up around the roses. Never let the soil in the pots get completely dry either but don't keep them soaking wet all the time. Roses are finicky about not having their roots sit in pools of water. So what ever containers you use make sure they have drainage holes. I use clear plastic cups so I can see when they get roots without having to disturb the cuttings.

If you're interested I just posted my method on this thread but I don't do mine inside. I do them outside during my growing season.

Here is a link that might be useful: rooting cuttings

• TedReverie
    10 years ago

I ordered some rose seeds ( 10 different colors) from China. I planted some of the seeds with MIracle Grow potting soil in biogradable starter pots. It has been ten days but I do not see any seeds sprouting out... Can roses actually grow from seeds ? Thank you for all the help.

• TNY78
    10 years ago

You can grow roses from seeds, but you won't get the variety of the parent plant. It will be a totally new variety! I haven't tried it myself, but there are some great pictures of seedlings some other forum members have grown this season.

My concern is getting the seeds from China. From what I've heard, a lot of the time you aren't actually getting rose seeds, but some other kind of seed. Hopefully this isn't the case for you :(

Tammy

• eahamel
    10 years ago

If you buy rose seeds from e-bay you will likely get something else, too, especially if you buy those blue or rainbow rose seeds.

• pdsavage
    10 years ago

I got rose seeds from china have my first rose seedling from them sprout ,just noticed it today.
    Suppose to be from red roses.
    I didn't fall for the rainbow or blue ones.
    Just white ,pink, orange,yellow and red.
    Figured .99 cent each packet what did I have to lose.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    7 years ago

If you want to see a video on my system, go to utube.com/decaturroses.  I had a PBS Station come to my yard to film my rose garden. I taught roses 101. One thing I did was give step by step instructions on my cutting system. Enjoy it!

• Vườn Hồng Vân Loan
    7 years ago

Dear dan_keil_cr Keil,

Thanks for your comments, I'll modify. Hopefully I can still participate in http://forums2.gardenweb.com.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm