Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil??

Posted by ken-n.ga.mts 7a/7b (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 10:01

I'm going to be rooting a few OGR's next spring. My question is, what soil to buy. I've tried rooting the past several years with very limited success (maybe 20%). I used garden soil but it packs down and doesn't drain well. Wally World, Lowes, Home Depot or an on-line company. I just need some GOOD soil.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil??

Perlite, or perlite and seed starting mix. It might be hard to find locally right now, depending on how much your local stores go by a calender. Next spring it should reappear.

o

I had really good luck using potting soil mixed with fine sand, and I threw some vermiculite in too. I had no problems with the stems rotting which I had using just potting soil. I'm not sure if the vermiculite is even needed, I may try without on some next time.

o

In my humid climate, I've had the best results with seed starting mix. Well draining was the key for me.
That and not packing down. I've been tempted to try straight perlite or vermiculite also, but I haven't yet.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 23:46

I use seed stater soil for my cuttings too. I've found it's lighter and drains well but still maintains a good constant moisture level.

o

So can have yet another opinion, lol, I get best results with half coarse sand, half coir. Most of my failures are from rot, so a super-fast draining media & no baggies have worked best for me. I water the pots with a splash of peroxide, besides.

Using a commercial strength hormone like Rhizopon #3 made a noticeable improvement, too. Dip N Grow is very popular but hasn't worked as well for me but I'm trying it again. Also Clonex.
But several folks say honey works great for them--haven't tried it yet.

Probably the most popular method I read about is baggies--it just hasn't worked for me. And another poster uses pure compost. I hope you'll try several methods & medias because one of them is sure to be best for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here