Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerry_wyomingpa

New babies

gerry_wyomingpa
17 years ago

Found my first seedlings sprouting today, I took them out of the fridge a few days ago and there were sprouts in three of the baggies today:

Keith's Delight

Therese Bugnet

Carefree Beauty

I potted them up into tiny little pots with some coir and have the pots in a plastic bag now, should be able to see them emerge in a few days....YEAH!

Will post pictures and such as time progresses.

Anyone else have any results to report?

Gerry

Comments (46)

• msjam2
    17 years ago

I stratified some Chrysler Imperial seeds on Sept 15, I'm starting to see some mold on the seeds, I wonder if I should take them out of the fridge now and plant them? What do you think?

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am not sure, I would say they have had enough cold treatment, but as for the mold, I am not sure. I have heard not to worry about it, so maybe just rinse them off and pot them to see what happens. What do you have them stored in...soil, coir, sand, paper towel?

Gerry

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hmmmm....

That did not work out very well, did it :-(

Lemme try this.

Those are the Veilchenblau, now to try the group shot.

OK, that is better, they are large pics and open in another window.

Gerry

• msjam2
    17 years ago

I stored them wrapped in damp paper towel in ziplock bag. Now if I were to take them out and plant the seeds, where do I put them? Won't it be too cold for them outside? Should I keep them by the window?

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Once I plant them, I put them under some shop lights in the cellar. I am not sure what zone 7b entails but I am guessing it can get pretty cold there also. If you don't have a flourescent light to put them under I would guess a bright window could do, just be sure to rotate them so that they do not stretch for the light and get so leggy.

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Hey, that's really cool! I had a hard time picturing a tiny sprout of a rose, and there it is. Amazing.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Michelle,

lol...just wait a few weeks and I might have some blooms to show you. Some roses bloom in as little as six weeks from seed.

Gerry

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

I picked/rustled some rosehips from the city demo garden today (sorry birds). Those photos of yours are toooo encouraging.

Do you think I could just drop seeds into small pots and put them in my coldframe to stratify & sprout?

Definitely post some photos of your progress & blooms when you have them!

Cheers,
    Michelle

• msjam2
    17 years ago

I have an aquarium that's not being used, is it okay to put the seedlings there and if so, do I keep the light on 24 hrs a day? Or is it better to get one those lizards lights (I forgot the name, sorry).

Thanks a lot!

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Michelle,

I think a cold frame should work, as I hear it you don't want them to freeze, just chill. I have also heard that some people "winter sow" them and have good results, but I think that DOES involve freezing...hmmm. Try it, whatcha ya got to lose.

msjam2,

An aquarium should be ok, but you want to get those seedlings right up under the light, maybe 2" away at max. Not sure about your light wattage, I use 2 40 watt flourescents in each shop light, regular old fashioned bulbs, no grow lights, they seem to work for me.

Hope this helps

Gerry

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Thanks Gerry. I will refrigerate in damp peat for about a month and then sow them in the coldframe in January & see what Mother Nature wants to do. :-)

Cheers,
    Michelle

• msjam2
    17 years ago

Gerry, how deep did you plant the seeds? I just washed the seeds with peroxide and water a week ago because of mold. I was thinking of sowing them this week using coir and jiffy's soil.

Thanks
    Msjam

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Msjam,

I usually put them about 1/4 inch deep, if they have already sprouted, I might put them a bit deeper so the tap root is fully covered.

Gerry

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here are some of the babies as of 12-29-06, it is hard to read the labels in the pots, I was having trouble with the camera, or maybe it was me.

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I GOT BLOOMERS!

These are from a "Keith's Delight" that germinated on 12-12-06 and bloomed yesterday 1-30-07

I am sure it will improve in time.

Lemme know what ya think, I should have a baby of "Tess of the D'Ubervilles" today or tomorrow.

Gerry

• faintheart
    17 years ago

Congrats Gerry!!! It's so exciting to see those first blooms, isn't it? All of your babies look very healthy and strong. The blooms will improve/change as the plant matures. Each plant will be unique and the blooms too. I started babies from hips a friend shared last winter and had so much fun! Can't wait for Spring to see them this year. Your pics make me wish I had some to start again...this winter cold is getting to me!

Glad you are back and feeling better. I'll be watching for more pics of those new babies! :)

~Faint

• paddlehikeva
    17 years ago

Wow Gerry, that is absolutely amazing. What a beautiful rose!!! what is your light source for this project? What and when do you feed them? I have successfully winter sowed rose seeds, they are very easy using that method, but they certainly don't bloom in 6 weeks!

Congratulations on your accomplishment. I imagine that goes a long way towards your recovery from your surgery.

All the best,
    Kathy

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Faint,

It is fun to see what each one brings, some so very different, and yet others so much alike. I am waiting to see what the Austin seedlings bring, as well as some of the singles.

Kathy,

I just use standard shop lights, with 40 watt bulbs. They are kept as close to the babies as I can keep them and are on for 18 hours a day. I did not feed them until they started getting 2nd set of true leaves or so, and then I dilute 1 tsp of Miracle Gro to a gallon of water and give them that.

I still have oodles of seed to plant, alot that have not begun to sprout yet, maybe I will try putting them outside as winter sowing and see what I get. The area I am growing in now is getting tight on space and I am just not up to expanding it this year.

Have some pics of a "Carefree Beauty" seedling I will try to post tonight.

Gerry

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, I am running a bit late, but here is the OP "Carefree Beauty" seedling, it has a medium scent, maybe it will get stronger.

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Drum Roooooll please...

Well, ok maybe not, but this is the one I have been waiting for and it finally opened this morning or late last night. It is an OP Tess of the D'Ubervilles seedling, sort of a salmon pink color, but who knows what color it will be once it gets out in the true sunlight, but it IS much different than mama, whom I see as almost red. The pictures are all nearly the same, some closer than others, but wanted to show them all, I am really excited about this one, as well as the vereigated one.

Gerry

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Very pretty baby, congrats. :-) What are you going to name it?

Cheers,
    Michelle

• msjam2
    17 years ago

Gerry, she is a beauty!! I love it, she looks almost like Angel Face, she looks a bit mauve on my monitor. How about fragrance?

My Chrysler Imperial seeds did not sprout at all, I took the seeds out of the fridge after almost 4 months and sowed them, this was in Dec, still nothing, do you think they are dead?

• mmmgonzo
    17 years ago

Gerry,

I am loving the picture of the last rose you posted.
    That one is a keeper :) How neat!

Can I ask a question- when you get seedlings to come up, do you fertilize at all? Very dilutely? Or just watering and lights until they get to a certain size?

Congratulations on that great rose baby.
    Marleah

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Michelle,

Not sure what or even if I will name it yet, will have to see how it does in the garden, but would be nice to have one named after my mother.

Msjam2,

No real fragrance that I can detect, but that may change in time. Sorry to hear about the CI seeds, maybe they will still germinate, if you have the patience and space, just hang on and see what happens.

Marleah,

I wait until they have a few sets of leaves, maybe 3 sets, and then I use 1/2 tsp, I think I posted somewhere that I use 1 tsp, but that was wrong, of MiracleGro diluted with 1 gallon of water, and give them that. I have them growing in coir this year, so I figured they would need the nutrition, in years past, I did not use fertalizer.

Gerry

• GawdinFever
    17 years ago

What source do you use for coir, Gerry?

Thanks
    Susanne

• weldontx
    17 years ago

Great Job Gerry!! Some of my seeds from you are planted and some are still in the frige. Dave also sent a few seeds. Now I have 2 new Country Dancers and 5 Ramblin Reds. Hadn't thought of them blooming so early. I'll be on the lookout.
    I Planted these seeds in 3" pots with potting soil and sand on top. The pots are placed inside a plastic storage container with a piece of glass on top, and like yours, they are under shop lights...makes a neat little hot house. Temps are kept at 62 to 70 degrees.

• mmmgonzo
    17 years ago

Gerry,

I keep looking at the last picture of your pink rose and it is so pretty. I can only hope that I grow something that stunning. I would love to get progress reports on this one :)

marleah

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Susanne,

I bought a bale of coir from a place on E-bay, theirs is supposed to be good for plants, I have however used the ones from the pet store also, with no problems. If you need the name of the E-bay seller, please E-mail me, and I will be happy to give it to you.

Weldon,

Now that yours are growing, we will be awaiting pictures from you!

Marleah,

I will keep posting on that one, and there is another "sister" rose to that one getting ready to bloom, so I will be posting that soon, it looks like it is going to be a bit more of a 'dusty' color, will be interesting.

Gerry

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just so I don' get accused of showing all the good ones, here are 3 pics of the rose that is blooming now, an OP seedling of "Carefree Beauty", mostly out of focus, but I think you can see it pretty well.

Gerry

• deafblossom
    17 years ago

WOW.. It is so amazing to see those babies! I am curious what the seed looks like? Can you show us picture of seeds? I believe it is round dark black? Where can I find some more information to learn how to crossing and collect seeds and etc.. Thank you.. Kat

• ich_bin_nathan
    17 years ago

Whoa...
    Those last pictures are hilarious. They are just so revolting! But oh your other ones are so gorgeous. My seeds are starting to germinate just now and so hopefully I will have nice ones soon too! But congrats on your roses. Very Very nice.

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kat,

I will try to get some pictures of the seeds.

Ich Bin Nathan,

They are rather ugly, I did save that plant, want to see what they look like then the plant matures more.

Now for the latest one to bloom, it is an OP seedling of the miniature "Sweet Chariot".

• michelle_co
    17 years ago

Is your new one odiferous, like it's parent? I like how it has so many buds showing.

Cheers,
    Michelle

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Michelle,

I did not detect any scent, but perhaps that will come. It looks like it might be a bit more than a single too, I know there was a post on here once about how many petals a rose may have after maturity verses first blooms, can't find it however. There are a few more buds that you can't see in that picture, so it just might be a real flower factory!

Gerry

• mmmgonzo
    17 years ago

Gerry,

Glad to see some new pictures. My seedlings are getting bigger but no signs of buds yet. I am starting to wonder what I am doing wrong. I want to see flowers!

Thanks for posting, I check every once in a while to see if you have any new pictures added of your new babies.

Marleah

• mmmgonzo
    16 years ago

hi gerry-

any new pictures??

marleah

• mmmgonzo
    16 years ago

Just trying to bump this one up as it has been my favorite over the winter/early spring.

Any new pictures of new babies?
    Marleah

• susaninthegarden
    16 years ago

haha the "Ugly Duckling Rose"! It reminds me of charlie browns christmas tree.
    Actually I think it's kinda cute like it has had a hard hair day.

• emilyg
    16 years ago

I never thought a rose could be ugly, but then....

However, your others are beauties. I wonder what the ratio of ugly ducklings to beauties will be?

• triple_b
    16 years ago

So can an 'ugly duckling' become a swan, or does its first bloom pretty much tell the whole story? (color, form, etc)

• aliska12000
    16 years ago

I picked off some rose hips, red, blackened, broke them open, the seeds come out clean, tested the seeds in water to see how many floaters, then planted them all. Now. Late May. How do roses grow from seed in the wild? Surely not from breaking them open and fussing as soon as they are ripe (not that I'm not willing to do that, but didn't think to collect any seeds last fall). The seeds would already be stratified, but there could very well be a good reason why this won't work. I couldn't find where anyone had even tried it, much less had success with it.

• susaninthegarden
    16 years ago

aliska I am trying the same thing. Nothing yet but still have some hope. Was reading on here somewhere that if they don't sprout to just throw them back in the fridge for another cycle.
    On June 20th if none have sprouted that is my plan at the moment.
    If nothing sprouts it is still good experience and this fall we will do it all the usual way!

• aliska12000
    16 years ago

Hi Susan, I found your thread after I had posted that. Nothing here yet, but it hasn't been too long. Nice to know somebody else is trying it too. Actually, you beat me to it which is neither here nor there.

Thanks for the tip about the fridge. I will do that if they don't do anything, not sure how long I will give them, 20 days maybe. I tried to take care not to let my planting medium get too moist, I tend to go a little heavy on the water.

I did soak the main batch overnight in the fridge in a baggie folded in a paper towel dampened with weak tea, tried that on some way old zinnia seeds and it didn't work.

The largest seed fell out on the dr table, and I forgot it when I planted all the others so I gave it the sandpaper treatment like I did my redbud seedlings and it's in a deli plastic box with a snap on top with holes cut in it for drainage.

I'm just considering it an experiment, and like you said, we can do it the "right" way in the fall.

• mmmgonzo
    16 years ago

Bumping this up.. wanting new pics if you have any Gerry :)

My one Abraham Darby OP seedling is getting buds! Yippee.
    2 at the same time. Cant wait!

My first rose I posted online (thanks to Michelle's help) is getting ready to bloom again. This time the blooms look very apricot to the eye.. it will be interesting if it copies the same pattern fading to a crisp clear white.

Marleah

• Joan Dupuis
    15 years ago

bumping. Any more pics of seedlings flowering? I hope to try some this Fall/Winter.
    Joan

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm